Login   Sign Up 

• Writers & Artists Getting Published Conference - tive tweets
    by MPayne at 12:48 on 07 July 2012
    In case anyone is interested, this event is today and the W&A are live tweeting some interesting discussion and tips - see #getpblshd.
  • Re: Writers & Artists Getting Published Conference - tive tweets
    by EmmaD at 15:00 on 07 July 2012
    Ooooh, thanks for that, Michelle. Fascinating stuff.
    by MPayne at 16:08 on 07 July 2012
    The earlier session with debut author Suzanne Joiner and her agent Rachel Calder was really interesting.

The agents' responses as to how many authors they take on compared to how many subs they receive is more than a little sobering, tho!

<Added>

Joinson[\b], even
    by eve26 at 17:55 on 07 July 2012
    Oh my godness, I've just read the statistics for subs taken on and then those that are successfully published....I think I need a stiff drink!
    by EmmaD at 21:12 on 07 July 2012
    Yes, those sort of figures are disconcerting when you first hear it, isn't it - though I've heard worse from other agents.

But you do have to remember that well over 50% of the 4000 or whatever their figure was, are total no-hopers. As the immortal Slushkiller post says, if your book has "a sufficiently functional plot that readers would notice if you shuffled the chapters into a new order", then you're in the top 50% or so.

And if it's of a quality that makes them think "someone could publish this book " but not them, then you're somewhere in the top 1-5% of that 4,000

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/004641.html