Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Getting short story published - literary fiction...
    by greentown at 12:10 on 17 June 2012
    Hi all, in my first post in the Newbie forum, I mentioned a couple of my favourite journals which I read for book reviews and so on.

I'm at the point where I have a few short stories which I think are of publishable quality (contemporary literary fiction) and I'm thinking of sending one to this journal:

http://www.barcelonareview.com/

Before sending my stuff off, if anyone has a spare moment, I'd love to know what you think of the journal?

Have you or anyone you know, submitted any work to The Barcelona Review and if you did, how did it go?

Do you know of any other literary journals which might publish new fiction?

All tips or guidance welcome and appreciated.
  • Re: Getting short story published - literary fiction...
    by EmmaD at 12:30 on 17 June 2012
    Hi Greentown

I don't know the Barcelona Review (mainly because I don't write a lot of short fic) but Duotrope is a good hunting ground for mags:

https://duotrope.com/search.aspx

and there are others. Best of luck with it!
    by greentown at 14:45 on 17 June 2012
    Cheers EmmaD

That's an amazing database!!!

As is often the way though, I can't get it to find 'literary' journals - it seems to be structured around more conventional genres i.e., horror, romance and so on.

They seem to classify 'literary' as a style of genre rather than a genre in its own right.
    I thought that general fiction in a literary style would return what I wanted - but it seems not - in fact, it seems to crash the search on my PC.
    It could just be that using those terms covers the entire database and hence the crash.

Still, I'll keep trying and would definitely recommend it to anyone working in traditional genre.

by EmmaD at 15:38 on 19 June 2012
    'literary' is a funny one, isn't it - it's a genre in some ways, and not in others, isn't it. And, yes, there for hard to know how to search for.

Are you in the UK? The listings in MsLexia and The New Writer can be a good hunting ground.
    by greentown at 15:58 on 19 June 2012
    Thanks EmmaD - I'll check those out.