Login   Sign Up 

• Agent not in the WAAY
    by sandpiper at 15:43 on 25 April 2012
    hello all,

I feel fortunate to have had some interest from an agent, but for some reason they aren't in the WAAY (the most recent I have is 2010, but when I spoke to them they said they had been around long before that).

They represent a couple of successful authors, so they seem perfectly legit... but I still can't help wondering why they're not in the yearbook?

Any views?

Thanks
    Sandpiper
  • Re: Agent not in the WAAY
    by Account Closed at 16:02 on 25 April 2012
    I think one reason may be that they don't want to be swamped with submissions, dunno? Perhaps that is their reason, as they only rep a couple of authors.

I think even if they state in teh WAAYB they aren't accepting subs, they might still pick up quite a few from there, regardless.

Emma will probably know!

Good luck, anyway!
    by eve26 at 16:22 on 25 April 2012
    Hi

Just as a matter of interest, how did you hear about them?
    by EmmaD at 16:40 on 25 April 2012
    Yes, if they're happy trundling along with the authors they have, and any new authors who come along by other channels, then not being in WAAYB keeps the slushpile to manageable proportions. Some small agencies don't have much of a website for the same reason.

I'd suggest giving the Society of Authors a ring, and seeing what they know about them.

Emma
    by sandpiper at 19:14 on 27 April 2012
    Thanks for the replies. This makes sense. They do seem legitimate and reasonably successful, I was just wondering about this one issue.

thanks again
    Sandpiper
    by Gillian75 at 17:01 on 28 April 2012
    Hello Sandpiper - hadn't seen you around in a while, well, since calliope, the critting group (good times!)

I have spotted an agent who I want to submit to, and they're not in the WAAYB, despite the MD having a good track record.
    by sandpiper at 18:15 on 28 April 2012
    Hi Gillian!
    yes, been away for a while!
    Nice to hear from you. Good to hear you're still on here as well
    Claire x