Login   Sign Up 

This 78 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4  5  6  > >  
  • Re: Oh-oh...big mistake
    by Cornelia at 09:28 on 12 June 2006
    Oh, no, not competition! I get enough of that at the bridge club, thank you. I think I'll just stick to my hand-crocheted style,which is much more soothing for one of my advanced years. Besides, I don't think I could take the hurly-burly of success. If I want some excitement I can always go and ask Emma difficult questions at one of her book readings. (only joking!)

Sheila
    by EmmaD at 09:35 on 12 June 2006
    John, yes, I agree with you. Anyone who thinks that writing can't be taught hasn't seen people learning it, on WW or anywhere else. As you say, you can actually see people getting better. Flash must be a bit like using fruit flies to explore evolution: it's so quick, you can see normally imponderably slow processes absolutely clearly. And I'm unquestionably a better writer by the end of every novel than I was at the beginning. But it's probably harder for others to see.

Cornelia, yes, I think that's probably true of MAs - most agents would know that you'd be getting the basics right, and probably read with more attention. On the other hand, my editor did say of the new one, 'it's not going to be a PhD novel, is it?' in tones of dread!

Emma

<Added>

Cornelia - what's the Morley course you're doing?
    by optimist at 09:56 on 12 June 2006
    Flash is great fun - you learn so much and because it's a new and evolving form there aren't so many people telling you how not to do it.

I had a really creative rejection last week - 'try this as a poem.' Why not?

You have to take the Barnes/Hill comments with a pinch of salt I think. I'd be really unhappy if I thought treasured first novel had just been turned down because I put a copyright notice on it - but I suspect that wasn't it? Not entirely...

I write because I have to - I read all the time and of course I can see the gap between where I am and where I want to be - and I get unhappy and depressed but somehow I can't stop.

Sarah
    by Prospero at 10:05 on 12 June 2006
    Yep that's it. There is a writer defined.

I write because I have to - I read all the time and of course I can see the gap between where I am and where I want to be - and I get unhappy and depressed but somehow I can't stop.

It's a bugger! But there's nothing to do other than get on with it.

MORE CHOCOLATE!

Prosp
    by Cornelia at 10:18 on 12 June 2006
    I suppose 'try this as a poem' is OK as a rejection of a short story, but could be a bit of a downer if you had submitted a novel.

Emma, the summer school course is called something like intermediate fiction writing. If the guy doesn't ring by the time I have to go off for a hair-cut I'll call him when I get back. I did find out when I rang that it's taught by someone called Maggie Hammond, plus some guest speakers. I can't find out much about Maggie Hammond from Google, possibly because it's too common a name.

I've taught courses at City Lit and Morley myself - but only on Chinese film.

Sheila

by Elbowsnitch at 10:44 on 12 June 2006
    Hi Sheila
    Maggie Hamand is one of the founders of Maia Press -

http://www.maiapress.com/about.php

<Added>

here's another link for her -

http://www.rlf.org.uk/fellowshipscheme/profile.cfm?fellow=116&menu=6
    by Cornelia at 11:15 on 12 June 2006
    Thanks, Elbowsnitch for such useful information. I see I spelled her name wrongly, so no wonder I couldn't find anything. Now I am definitely encouraged to apply, if there are still spaces.These Morley writing courses seem to fill up quickly.

Sheila
    by EmmaD at 11:38 on 12 June 2006
    I love Morley - it's such a great place. Maggie Hamand's a Good Thing - should be an interesting course.

Emma
    by Cornelia at 13:25 on 12 June 2006
    I also studied Chinese Literature there for few years - in a classroom with a view of the London Eye. My tribute to the teacher should appear in the next Morley newsletter ( she died recently)

Oh, and when those royalties start coming in, Emma, you can buy one of those flats opposite, on Westminster Bridge Road. I went in to see the show flat when they were building, and I think I spotted it in Woody Allen's last film, Matchpoint. They were asking 1.4 million and I must have looked stunned because the woman asked what exactly was my budget.I only wanted to look, just in case!

Sheila

by EmmaD at 13:37 on 12 June 2006
    Oh, and when those royalties start coming in, Emma, you can buy one of those flats opposite, on Westminster Bridge Road.

I found myself saying to the children yesterday in the heat, 'If I ever sell the film rights of three novels simultaneously, we'll buy a house with a swimming pool'. But in fact in some ways I'd rather live in a flat plumb in the middle of town, as long as it had some kind of outside - balcony, or terrace or whatever. I refuse to garden and am sick to death of worrying about the roof over my head and the crack up the back wall. Would happily swap those for an outrageous service charge and being able to walk to anywhere in the West End. The first home I remember is our Thirties apartment on Park Avenue in Manhattan, and in some ways I think I'm wired to want to live like that forever.

Emma
    by Cornelia at 14:07 on 12 June 2006
    I think these rich writers seem to do both - flat in town and house in the country, which seems quite sensible. Swimming pool is an excellent idea in this heat, but I expect they'd settle for Brockwell Park Lido.

Sheila
    by Cornelia at 18:57 on 12 June 2006
    I'm replying to myself, but I wanted to add that Morley have lost my custom, because the man never did ring back, even though I left another message with his colleague. I wanted to know whether I needed to send a writing sample - I think it said something about it in the course description.

Meantime I found out Maggie Hamand and a couple of associates run something called The Complete Creative Writing Course which I can do in ten weekly sessions starting in late September, if the course isn't full already. This will suit me better as I am keen to progress with present projects. I have a few trips planned in the summer so another week out might not be a good idea..

Besides, the CCWC will substitute for the Goldsmiths year-long evening course I was considering but hesitating about because I want to go on extended leave in February. This way I save about a third of the cost and don't have to worry about the commitment.

I quite like the idea of the venue, too - The Groucho Club in Soho.

I wonder if you, Emma, or anyone else knows about this ? (there are two, in fact - beginners and advanced) They seem to have endorsements from people who have gone on to be successful novelists. I know that's not to say I will, of course, but it inspires confidence.

Sheila

by EmmaD at 20:17 on 12 June 2006
    I applied for a non-teaching part-time job at Morley once, and very quickly realised when I got shown round at the interview that there was far, far too much to do in the time you were supposed to do it!

I hadn't heard of the CCCW - which means nothing in itself! - but the tutors' credentials look okay, and the success stories they quote aren't negligible. The Advanced course looks interesting. The Groucho is quite fun though no doubt someone will tell you it isn't cool any more. Much nicer than a church hall somewhere, anyway. I remember it vaguely from when I was unfortunate enough to feel that I ought to go to Society of Young Publishers meetings (Bad idea. I am sooo not a networking person) and you can walk through to Foyles afterwards.

Emma
    by Cornelia at 22:42 on 12 June 2006
    Yes, that job description sounds about right for any kind of job in the public sector - and for the private sector too, nowadays. It amazes me that I used to teach classes where we'd speculate about what to do with the extra leisure time once computers took over.

Thanks for the comments. I've sent some details to see if I'm suitable for the advanced course, although Monday afternoons would suit me better.

Sheila
    by Skippoo at 11:22 on 13 June 2006
    Ooh, an apartment on Westminster Bridge Road! Heaven. It might be a bit grey and have used condoms and other undesirable things floating in it, but I love the Thames. I've walked along it from Blackfriars to Battersea twice in the last week or so, while the weather's been nice (got accosted by loads of big male salsa dancers half-way on Saturday, though. )

Cath
  • This 78 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4  5  6  > >