Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Anyone know if there`s a set name for a small front garden?
    by LorraineC at 16:13 on 10 February 2012
    I'm at a point in my ms where I'm trying to describe one of those red brick victorian houses with the small gardens at the front. I'm sure there's a name for that type of garden, not a courtyard garden, but something similar. Does anyone know what I mean? There's definitely a common name to describe it that's not small garden.

Thanks,
    Lorraine
  • Re: Anyone know if there`s a set name for a small front garden?
    by EmmaD at 16:15 on 10 February 2012
    I think I'd just call it the front garden, and make it clear that it's small by the context.
    by Account Closed at 16:44 on 10 February 2012
    There's "the area" but that specifically means a basement front garden I think.
    by chris2 at 18:39 on 11 February 2012
    I don't think there is a specific word for it. Perhaps, if you don't want to use 'small', you could imply the smallness by the use of something like 'narrow strip of garden in front of...' or, depending upon whether there is implied criticism of the smallness, 'what passed for a garden in front..' or 'the narrow apology for a garden...'

FloraPost is right in identifying 'area' as signifying something in front of the house but I'd say that the word usually refers just to a space between the basement and the pavement, sometimes incorporating a stairway down and sometimes not. The basement occupant might put some pot plants in it, but I'm not sure that it could really qualify as a 'garden' and, certainly in Central London, it always implies something well below street and ground-floor level.

Chris

by EmmaD at 10:56 on 12 February 2012
    Yes, 'the area' to me is always basement, or semi-basement. Down from street level, in other words.
    by Bluefreckles at 14:31 on 12 February 2012
    Hi,
    The old phrase 'pocket-handkerchief' garden is one I love!
    by Hetty at 16:33 on 12 February 2012
    I looked on the web out of curiosity and the common term seemed to be front garden or yard, depending on which country you are in. There are no other suggestions apart from 'area' - not very satisfying. Perhaps there might be a regional name for it (like snicket for back alley) but no-one is saying...
    by LorraineC at 20:45 on 12 February 2012
    Thanks all. I thought I had a name for it lurking in the back of my mind but now I wonder if I ever did. Thanks for the suggestions.
    by EmmaD at 22:55 on 12 February 2012
    If you come across a different word I could do with it at home - where my front garden should be it's just paving stones and parking (not my choice, and dreadfully un-eco-friendly, though I can't deny it's handy) and I never know how to describe it because you really can't call it a garden.

Actually, I do find myself referring to it as "the front" - as in "the dustbins live on the front", if that's any use.
    by Turner Stiles at 01:03 on 13 February 2012
    If I had to invent a term for it, I'd go for "town garden".
    by MPayne at 09:37 on 13 February 2012
    I've only ever known them as 'front gardens'. And 'the drive' or 'driveway' for the paved parking area, if there is one.
    by Polive54 at 08:53 on 28 November 2021
    BIkes are the big source of entertainment near me. I have just purchased a new bike for myself. I am looking for a games[url=https://nicelocal.ca/toronto/entertainment/type/parks/]game[/url]  because I want to add some features. If anyone is having knowledge of the best mechanic then please let me know.
    Edited by Polive54 at 08:54:00 on 28 November 2021
    Edited by Polive54 at 08:55:00 on 28 November 2021