Login   Sign Up 

This 25 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • American term for car crash?
    by debac at 14:33 on 12 November 2010
    I know they say they were in a car wreck, not a car crash or car accident (at least, I think so). But if a Brit was to say 'have you had a crash?' or 'have you had an accident?', what would Americans say?

TIA!

Deb
  • Re: American term for car crash?
    by CarolS at 15:28 on 12 November 2010
    Americans would use any of those terms---crash, wreck, accident. Wreck would be more dramatic, you'd only use that if it was pretty serious, like if the car was totaled. Accident would be what most people would say.
    by debac at 15:29 on 12 November 2010
    Oh, that's interesting, Carol. Thank you! Very useful!
    by eedel9kvr at 23:08 on 12 November 2010
    American's love their alphabet so they may call it an 'R.T.A' (road traffic accident) and a minor bump is called a'fender bender'.

Edel

by debac at 15:44 on 13 November 2010
    Oh, that's useful, Edel, thanks! RTA sounds good in the context.

Deb
    by Mox at 17:07 on 14 November 2010
    But I think Crash is used for serious conditions while Accidents happen to anybody, minor or major. It depends upon the situations.

Michael
    by debac at 12:30 on 16 November 2010
    Thanks Mox!

Actually, Edel, I saw an American friend the other day and asked him, and he said they never use RTA cos it's a British acronym. He said wreck was a really bad one, otherwise I think he said they would use crash or accident, much as we do.

Deb
    by Mox at 14:10 on 16 November 2010
    Okay, whatever. Good luck ! But forgive me please, I thought you were a guy. Nice talk.

Michael
    by debac at 21:18 on 16 November 2010
    Hi Michael, your info was useful too - hope I didn't imply otherwise.

I'm curious, why did you think I was a guy?

Deb
    by Mox at 04:06 on 17 November 2010
    Because I thought your were 'Deborah' or maybe 'Debac'. The question, "is Deborah a man or a woman?", or "what is the gender of the name Deborah?" So it confused me , later I thought maybe you are 'male' but When saw your profile I apologized. You are Debbie. Nice name

Michael
    by debac at 12:19 on 17 November 2010
    Hi Michael,

I am really surprised you're not familiar with the name Deborah as a woman's name. I've known loads of Debbies and Deborahs and Debras, but none of them were male.

I'm not offended at all - just a bit puzzled..... <???>

Deb

<Added>

I see you're from Australia. Do they not have the name Deborah out there?
    by Mox at 12:54 on 17 November 2010
    Hi Debbie,

No, it's not like that, I know many Debbies, but not Deborahs, and my confusion is not exceptional I googled it and found its common name for female, over 70 % or 80 %. I know an actor Debac who is male. Even on the site somewhere I read it's general confusion to first time hearers for Deborahs.

Never mind.

by debac at 13:51 on 17 November 2010
    I didn't know Debac was actually a name, so I understand in that case you thinking I was actually called that.

However, I am still baffled you think most people don't know the name Deborah as a woman's name....??? It's very common in the UK, esp for my age group (40s).

Deb
    by Mox at 14:55 on 17 November 2010
    Twenty years back, you were a youngster so at that your name may have been popular. Popularity varies as decade goes by. And one thing I've noticed, WWers often hide their age, Now I wonder you're in your forty. And I hesitate to post 'Is anybody twenty or teens out there?'

Michael
    by debac at 18:12 on 17 November 2010
    Yes, it was popular in my age group. That means anyone in the UK would be familiar with it as a name for my age group. Once we were young and now we're in our forties.

I still don't understand your point TBH.

I don't hide my age - I just don't like to put my whole date of birth on the internet, cos it can be used to assist identity theft. I don't think you can put the year of birth on WW without putting the whole DOB, but it's been a few years since I signed up so I may be misremembering.

Deb
  • This 25 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >