Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Interesting lawsuit
    by Daisy at 12:59 on 29 January 2004
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_860532.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

I reckon that taking someone to court over an idea probably won't hold much water - how can you prove it was your idea in the first place for one thing.

ALso interesting is the fact he is suing over a film that has been almost universally panned - could it be that he looked at madonna and saw dollar signs?
  • Re: Interesting lawsuit
    by swandale at 13:04 on 29 January 2004
    Especially when the idea was to do a remake of an existing form, so hardly a original idea in the first place!

Why would anyone want to claim credit for something that got reviews like "At no point should anyone mistake this for an actual movie. It is as awful as you've heard and as bad as you've imagined."?
    by olebut at 13:25 on 29 January 2004
    probably because he assumes he will get an out of court settlement of a million or so and get his name into the papers
    by Account Closed at 15:57 on 29 January 2004
    Well, if I thought I could ruffle some celebrity feathers, walk away with a million squid and get my picture in Empire, I'd sue them as well.
    by anisoara at 19:56 on 29 January 2004
    Regardless of the (lack of) quality of the film, it's disturbing to think that this guy could have met with Ritchie to pitch this idea, then have Ritchie & Co use it without compensating him in some way. Looking at the article, Ritchie claims there was no contract. I'd say that's just the point: there was no contract. I find it very unpleasant how this person has been exploited.

AM
    by old friend at 09:34 on 03 February 2004
    AM
    It is not established if this guy has been 'exploited'... this is what the lawsuit is all about. If the case goes for him, he will receive compensation (probably megabucks) and perhaps his own legal expenses. If it goes against him then he may be hit by legal costs for both sides.

Whatever the outcome, the lawyers gain and both parties receive wide publicity... this is a win/win situation for all concerned.

When it's all over I think Madonna may write another children's book - perhaps based upon the moral issues surrounding the case!

Len