Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 143 message thread spans 10 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9   10  > >  
  • Re: Off her Potter?
    by Skippoo at 12:15 on 10 August 2005
    No, you're often not a million miles away from each other. And you both get very passionate when writing your opinions, that's all.

And of course no one hates anyone, really (although usually that's in a virtual kind of way 'cos this is a website and not life).

And I think everyone should find a copy of History Today cos it's bloody hilarious.

xxx
    by Account Closed at 12:19 on 10 August 2005
    I don't think I'm any kind of saint. I have explained my extreme reaction in the lounge under the heading of 'plagiarism'.

JB
    by Davy Skyflyer at 12:44 on 10 August 2005
    W
    h
    a
    t
    e
    v
    e
    r

by Account Closed at 13:22 on 10 August 2005
    It's ok, I've said my piece and now the matter can rest.

JB
    by Davy Skyflyer at 13:42 on 10 August 2005
    Okay, glad that's all sorted. But just for the record, if anyone really thinks my political ideas are half cocked rants I'm willing to set them straight anytime.

And also, if anyone who is an attractive female, sorry waxy, really thinks I have an incredibly small penis that motivates my insane rantings, I'm willing to set them straight also

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I am clearly insecure, I admit that.

And I'm still depressed

...tho don't worry about me, after all we all got our bad sides!

Thanks

DS

by Account Closed at 14:12 on 10 August 2005
    Jeez, don't flatter yourself Davy. I may be gay, but I do have some semblance of taste.

JB
    by Skippoo at 14:17 on 10 August 2005
    I reckon it hinges on nose size...... (JOKING, DAV!)
    by Skippoo at 23:22 on 10 August 2005
    Look what you've started, Terry. I had to reminisce with my brother tonight and get some more History Today-isms:

"You see that Peter Beardsley."
    "I am aware of the sportsman."
    "That's your school photo, that is. That's you looking your very best."

"Your mum does it for money."
    "Your mum does it for free."
    "Your mum does it with you...for money. She gives you your pocket money and you give it right back."

I know. I'm a very sad individual with no life.

Cath
    by Colin-M at 07:54 on 11 August 2005
    My favourite was when they used the slide projector and Newman put up a slide of a victorian painting of a little boy.

See that boy there

You mean the young boy in the painting? The delicate, slightly effeminite looking boy?

You've lost a fight to him. He beats you up.

It was always the same joke, but always brilliant. You've made me all nostalgic for the live in wembley video.

I saw Newman in a small comedy house a few years after the pair split up. He wasn't particularly good. He finished with his Jarvis character, but something seemed to be missing.

Colin
    by Myrtle at 08:00 on 11 August 2005
    Newman had a show in a North London theatre recently and it got rave reviews - of course I only read about it after the damn thing had finished.

'Your mum' jokes are the most powerful put-downs for guys, aren't they? I remember a huge escalation of them a few years ago, particularly amongst my younger brother's friends, and then when they ran out of insults they'd simply say 'Your mum' rather aggressively and that would be enough.
    by Account Closed at 08:33 on 11 August 2005
    Groan. My mate does that all the time and it is just so old. Mind you, I get my own back by suggesting I've been having a torrid affair with his father...didn't help when his dad greeted me with a 'hello gorgeous' recently. You should've seen my mate's face!

I used to love The Mary Whitehouse Experience. What a laff!

JB
    by Skippoo at 10:33 on 11 August 2005
    Aah, I love it! Can anyone think of any more?!

Kids still do the 'your mum' thing as much as ever. At the school I work in, the favourite is 'suck yer mum.' Nice.

I seem to remember the 'your mum' thing starting in London when I was at school - I think it has its roots in African-American culture. OK, I just had to look it up (I told you, I have no life - it's my novel-finishing hermitdom that's doing it): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_MOM

Wax, that is hilarious about getting your own back with your mate's dad!

Has anyone read any of Newman or Baddiel's novels? I loved both of Baddiel's - especially Time for Bed, which made me piss myself on the underground quite often (not literally, of course). There was also a lot I recognised in it as he's from the same neck of the woods as me (although I went the crap school and he went to the posh private one round the corner). Haven't read any of Newman's, but I did watch that documentary about him struggling to write. He made it all seem so excruciatingly difficult!

Cath
    by Account Closed at 10:42 on 11 August 2005
    I haven't read Baddiel but then to be fair, I don't find him that funny on TV. Maybe I could give it a whirl.

JB
    by el gringo at 09:37 on 25 September 2005
    Interestingly, I'm currently reading Susanna Clark's celebrated fantasy Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. As a first novel it's an astonishing achievement, billed by some as Harry Potter for adults. Personally, I find it sends up the fantasy genre, not to mention a post-romantic style, far more effectively than JKR has achieved in six books. Clark achieves this with delicacy and a remarkably light touch - credit to her for that.
    by Account Closed at 10:14 on 26 September 2005
    I am also reading it, and find it hard to put down. I don't think it's a send up of the genre, I think it is a book written from the true heart of the genre. A lot of popular fantasy books - dwarves and elves and magic swords et al - are actually the send ups.

I am glad to see another writer out there, bar Gaiman, who isn't afraid to revive old English myths, the perniciousness of Fairies and place it in a realistic 'human' context. JK Rowling doesn't have that skill and never has. She writes crappy kid's books, which are enjoyed by:
    a) Adults who don't read much anyway, so have little comparison
    b) Adults who believe the hype and need something to talk about at parties. It's fashionable, you know!
    c)Adults who are, in fact, pretty stupid, and support writers nicking other - and much better - writers ideas.

But I've said all I want to on the subject now I feel.

I'm glad there are still writers like Clark who raise the bar, and not lower it, like Rowling.

JB

• This 143 message thread spans 10 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9   10  > >