Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 40 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • Men reads books by written by men...
    by anisoara at 21:29 on 09 June 2005
    Came across this article just now:

Study reveals men read books by men
    -----------------------------------

A study released on May 30 disclosed that men mainly read novels by other men, but rarely read novels by women. Commissioned for the Orange Prize for Fiction, an annual British award for female authors, the research was carried out by Lisa Jardine and Annie Watkins, professors at Queen Mary College, London. According to Jardine, she's received dozens of emails from irate male readers insisting that they are "immensely well-read in women's fiction".

Yet she adds, "These are the very men who turn out not to have read any novel at all by a woman recently." The survey, sent to 50 British "opinion formers" (cultural critics, book festival organizers, professors of philosophy, etc.), asked a variety of questions. Jardine and Watkins found that 80% of male respondents had most recently completed a novel by a male author, and many had trouble remembering the last book by a woman they'd read.

Female respondents, on the other hand, were split almost 50/50, with over half having recently finishing a work by a female novelist, and the remainder, by a man. They also found that men are aware of authors like Carol Shields, Monica Ali, and Andrea Levy (past Orange Prize winners), and are willing to classify their books as important. "But they were endearingly candid about not having read many of them," said Jardine. The professors are working on another, larger study on men's reading habits, which they will release this fall.

I wonder why this is?

<Added>

I didn't really classify this right, but wasn't at all sure where to put it.
  • Re: Men reads books by written by men...
    by Skippoo at 22:04 on 09 June 2005
    Interesting stuff! I've always suspected this, Ani, although it seems a big generalisation. I don't think it's just writing, though, I think it extends to other art forms. I've had many arguments with my brother about why he has so few albums by female artists in his collection (I'll start on his book collection next time I'm round there...).

Cath

p.s. where was the article?
    by anisoara at 22:27 on 09 June 2005
    Yes, this is something I've long felt to be true, also.

It was in a newsletter I just received from Moira Allen's Writing World - couldn't find an author name to cite, but I can forward the newsletter to you if you'd like to see it.

<Added>

Looking at a list I've started to keep of the books I've read, of the past 34 books, 19 are by men, and 15 are by women.
    by aruna at 06:51 on 10 June 2005
    I believe it's very true. Men somehow fear that women only write about the "soppy" stuff - relations, love, marriage etc. Yet so many classics written by men have been about love, marriage, relationships. And evn in recent times; think of The Corrections, and A Suitable Boy; written by men, and thus "OK for men to read". Yes,there is definitely a taboo against men reading books by women.

Thats' also why publishers have this particular genre, "Women's Fiction".

I can imaguine chick-lit and such being read exclusively by women, but there are also lots of great contemporary books written by women which defiitely should not be relegated to the category "Women's Fiction", even if they are about relationships and marriage. After all, men are engaged in marriages as well!

I'd be interested toknow what th emen onthis board read - more men than women? Is it different for men WRITERS?
    by Skippoo at 09:17 on 10 June 2005
    Absolutely, Aruna. God, I hate the term 'chick lit.'

Actually, most of the novels I've read recently have been by men (I've been working my way through most of Toby Litt's and Michel Faber's back catalogues), but if you count non-fiction, then it's an even split.

I wonder what the author gender split is of books available in most bookshops or libraries?

Cath
    by Account Closed at 09:56 on 10 June 2005
    Men somehow fear that women only write about the "soppy" stuff - relations, love, marriage etc.

Well, that is a bit of a gross generalisation aruna. I've read plenty of women writers who I totally admire: Tanith Lee, Mary Shelley, Poppy Z.Brite, Anne Rice, Agatha Chrsitie, Joan Aitken,Marion Zimmer Bradley,Susan Cooper...the list of female writers I have read and enjoyed is endless. I personally don't discriminate before the two, nad I can't believe many men do - a good story is a good story at the end of the day.

I'm interested to know what this article is basing its somewhat doubtful facts on...

by Al T at 10:00 on 10 June 2005
    I saw a news piece on this survey, which seemed to confirm what I'm sure we could all guess: that most men wouldn't be seen dead holding a book with a pastel cover. If marketing departments want to promote books by women to male readers as well as female, then they need to change that kind of packaging.

Having said that, and going off at a slight tangent, whilst buying my usual coffee capsules (which are brown and black) in the Nespresso shop, some fuschia pink ones jumped off the shelf at me:
    "Oh, they're so pretty," I said. Aware of my dubiously shallow reaction I added, "Where's the coffee from?"

"Columbia," said the assistant. "Would you like to taste it?"

"Yes, please." I said, thinking that unless it tasted like s*** I would definitely buy some as they would look lovely in my kitchen. Luckily, it tasted fine, but I had to use superhuman strength to resist buying the matching expresso cups as well...

Adele.

<Added>

Make that Colombia, not the fine uni in Manhattan!
    by aruna at 10:05 on 10 June 2005
    Yes, it is a gross generalisation, and I'm glad it doesn't apply to you - unfortunately, it DOES apply to many men who are aware if keeping up appearances. I know of one voraciously well read man, an absolute book lover, who refuses to read Jane Austen, calling her "Aunty Jane". And quite a few other men on a discussion board I used to belong to (The Amazon Reviewer board) once agreed with this on a similar thread.
    by Skippoo at 10:07 on 10 June 2005
    Well, yeah we can't avoid generalising to an extent here, Wax, but from a lot of my personal experience, and obviously Aruna's, there does seem to be some truth in it. But I'm glad you can't be included in that!

That's another way of looking at it, Adele, that it's the marketing people's fault, but then that turns it into a chicken/egg question. What came first the cocktail/stiletto covers or the (almost) exclusively female readership?

Cath
    by bjlangley at 10:22 on 10 June 2005
    I mostly read books by men, but I don't think it's a conscious decision on my part to do so.

The book I'm currently reading, 'The Elected Member' is by a female author, Bernice Rubens, yet two of the three central characters are male. As such I think the real crux of the matter is not who wrote it, but who it's about. In reading the 'blurb' it's easier to see something that appeals if you can relate to the main character - and it's easy to relate to a character of the same sex.

The front of the book depicts a man sat up in bed, and silverfish on the wall. I read the back, which tells of Norman, his fall into drug addiction, his hallucinations and his committal to a mental hospital.

It sounded interesting, I didn't even realise that it was written by a female author until I was a chapter or two in.

Ben
    by Account Closed at 10:37 on 10 June 2005
    Yes, I suppose I agree that there is a grain of truth in it. Sexism in literature? It's a bit sad, isn't it? But I agree with the point Adele made about packaging - some of those covers are putrid, and the only place they'd look fitting is on a doiley-spread coffee table next to the potpourri and a copy of The Lady...bleeeurrrggghhh.

JB

PS: Did I forget to mention that towering edifice of female literary talent, Pamela Anderson...?
    by aruna at 10:42 on 10 June 2005
    Wax,
    even I as a woman wou;dn't be seen dead reading a book with one of those covers - in fact, I'd have to be dead to read one (if that were possible!), much less be seen with one.
    by Skippoo at 10:52 on 10 June 2005
    What d'ya mean? I quite like my doilies! And my doll toilet roll cover...
    by bjlangley at 11:23 on 10 June 2005
    I had no shame in reading a book with a green cover, and a simple daisy on the front. Mind you, it was a manly green. The rather wonderful Happiness TM by Will Ferguson. I think it came in colours other than green.

Want to stop me reading a book? Stick a pair of high-heeled shoes on the front. There's no way I'm picking that up.

Ben

by Account Closed at 11:51 on 10 June 2005
    I love those old Sydney Sheldon covers for their tack value, a rose, an empty wineglass and a gun. Class.

• This 40 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >