Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Definition of `published`?
    by Account Closed at 15:45 on 31 October 2010
    I'm just wondering whether uploading work to this or any other site constitutes 'publishing' when it comes to thereafter submitting work to agents/publishers/competitions who insist on unpublished work?

Thanks.

Jan
  • Re: Definition of `published`?
    by EmmaD at 16:16 on 31 October 2010
    Jan, the usual feeling is that if you upload work and restrict it to WriteWords members only, or to the members of your group, then it doesn't count as published any more than it would if you made some copies for sharing in a terrestrial writers' circle or some such. It does count as published if it's available - made public - on the Internet.

Emma
    by Account Closed at 17:10 on 31 October 2010
    It does count as published if it's available - made public - on the Internet.

Thanks, Emma, and that's a critical difference I hadn't considered.

Jan

P.S. I meant to open this thread on the 'Getting Published' forum, I wonder if it's worth moving it there where it might be more useful to people?

<Added>

Have just noticed that WriteWords is not showing the RightTime. Someone forgot to put the clocks back!
    by Desormais at 18:28 on 31 October 2010
    I was looking at a competition site on the internet the other day where they specifically said that "Entries may have appeared on online in peer review groups but must not have been published in any commercial print or online form."

So be sure to tick the correct box when you upload work.
    by EmmaD at 22:31 on 31 October 2010
    "Entries may have appeared on online in peer review groups but must not have been published in any commercial print or online form."

Good for them for making it so clear. Let's hope others get the message.

Emma