Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Copyright confusion
    by Swoo at 16:50 on 01 September 2009
    Hi - it's ages (a couple of years) since I've contributed to WW, but I have been busy, honest! I've been developing a website of my work but would greatly appreciate any advice - or being pointed in the direction of advice - about any copyright issues or nightmares if I included work by (and links to sites of) my favourite poets and authors. The web designer is keen for me to develop an archive of other people's brilliant writing as it would theoretically increase traffic to my site - but I need to be sure of the legalities first before getting in a mess -

and of course I would love to include work by WW writers too :-)

many thanks
    S
  • Re: Copyright confusion
    by EmmaD at 17:32 on 01 September 2009
    Links to sites are fine. You shouldn't quote in-copyright works without permission. In principle you could be sued from here to kingdom come if you do. The rules are just the same as if you were planning to print their work: there's nothing 'copyright free' about the Net.

The best people to ask would probably be The Society of Authors: their quick guide to the rules of copyright is here:

http://www.societyofauthors.org/guides-and-articles/

Emma
    by NMott at 18:12 on 01 September 2009
    The web designer is keen for me to develop an archive of other people's brilliant writing

I would provide links, but would not build up an archive as you are likely to run into copyright issues unless it's fairly old stuff. Instead I would suggest mentioning your favorite authors and poets in blog posts, maybe giving a review or a critical discussion of their work, as that should be sufficient to bring people to your site via internet searches.

- NaomiM

<Added>

and of course I would love to include work by WW writers too :-)

If it's published material, then I'm sure the authors wouldn't mind you writing a review, but if it's unpublished work put up for feedback, then please don't.

<Added>

If you check out the various WWers blogs - eg Nik's - you'll see how others have done it.

http://www.writewords.org.uk/blogs/
    by Swoo at 19:17 on 01 September 2009
    Emma and Naomi, this is very useful indeed, and confirmed my instincts, thank you so much. Brilliant idea to suggest including other people's work as a review in a blog - something I am intending to do anyway, but it's good to know it will get round a copyright infringement.

I am relieved too, because I don't want to spend all my time archiving work which is already widely available.

If it's published material, then I'm sure the authors wouldn't mind you writing a review, but if it's unpublished work put up for feedback, then please don't.

absolutely - what the site has is a section for people to submit their own work - work that they consider to be their best - kind of a showcase. But I will check out the links you have given and learn a little more

many, many thanks

S