Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• help with clearing
    by susieangela at 13:10 on 28 March 2008
    I know this often comes up, but I realised I haven't the smallest idea how to go about clearing (and paying for) passages of writing I'm using in my novel.
    I'm using various extracts from Rainer Maria Rilke's 'Letters to a Young Poet'. He died in 1926 - does that mean I don't have to clear it?
    And I'm using one extract from C.S. Lewis' 'Voyage of the Dawn Treader' - he died in 1963. Who do I need to contact about this?
    Would be very grateful if anyone knows the nitty-gritty details as I don't know where to start.
    Thanks,
    Susiex
  • Re: help with clearing
    by NMott at 13:24 on 28 March 2008
    For C.S. Lewis you should contact Harper Collins Publishers Ltd.
    by susieangela at 13:30 on 28 March 2008
    Thanks, Naomi, that's very helpful. I didn't know if I had to contact the estate or what.
    Susiex
    by EmmaD at 13:54 on 28 March 2008
    Copyright exists for 70 years after the author's death.

If you Google something like 'copyright holder "C S Lewis"' you should get whichever agency operates the rights for that - literary estates are usually managed by a department of one of the bigger literary agencies. Or find out Lewis's English publisher and ring them.

There's an extra complication, though, with the Rilke, in that there'll be copyright in the translation of the Rilke that you're using, and even though he's out of copyright, the translation may not be. It would usually be the translator or the English publisher who held that, and if you're working from an ordinary edition, then it should say on the copyright page along with all the other info.

When you do track them down, you'll probably need to say what it's for - commercial publication in a novel - how much you're quoting, and which rights you're asking for, and for how long. If you go for 'world rights,' then they can't come back to you and say, 'But you never told us it was being published in Australia,' or whatever.

The Society of Authors can advise too.

Forgive me, I can't remember if you've got a contract for this novel, though. You may not think it's worth clearing and paying for permissions till you have, though there's no harm in getting a ball-park figure (make it clear, though, that at the moment you're only enquiring). Once you do land a contract you need to get on with it fast, but if you've tracked everyone down already that shouldn't be a problem.

Emma

<Added>

Crossed with Naomi. Some publishers handle permissions, some don't: Noel Streatfeild is handled by Curtis Brown, for instance.
    by susieangela at 14:42 on 28 March 2008
    Emma, that is so helpful. I've written it all down to get onto.
    No, I haven't even started submitting yet, but I thought it would be good to know what the damage might be, because the quotes are integral to the plot, and as you say - if the miracle of publication should ever happen, it's best to know what's what.
    One last question - you mention that I should say how long I want the rights for - is there an optimum time?
    Many, many thanks
    Susiex
    by EmmaD at 19:00 on 28 March 2008
    Well, you need to ask for the rights for as long as the book's in print, I guess. (It would be different if it was for a particular event, or suchlike). I think they'll assuming that: you really just need to make sure that there wouldn't be a time limit.

Emma
    by susieangela at 19:50 on 28 March 2008
    Thanks, Emma!
    Susiex
    by susieangela at 23:13 on 21 April 2008
    An update on this:
    I contacted both the C.S. Lewis estate people and the company who hold copyright for the Rilke translation. The C.S. Lewis people were great - a very speedy response, and gave me a ball-park figure of £50 approx. plus VAT for the use of 200 words approx. which was much less than I expected.
    BUT - I've just had a reply re. the Rilke translation saying that don't give estimates of costs until I have a publisher. This seems nuts - what if it costs a fortune, and I have to change the book drastically? (if, of course, I'm ever in that position). Fingers crossed I am, and that it doesn't!
    Susiex