Login   Sign Up 

• Hymn singing
    by Gillian75 at 10:36 on 15 January 2008
    My characters sing a hymn in my book, and I've reproduced some of the words.

I'm unsure as to whether there is any copyright on hymns so I'd appreciate any help.
    thanks
  • Re: Hymn singing
    by caro55 at 11:37 on 15 January 2008
    I think it depends how old it is - there's definitely copyright on the more modern ones. Even with older hymns, you need to check that the copyright hasn't been renewed more recently e.g. by a music publisher. I'm a bit hazy on all this - I'm not sure if there's a central list of who owns copyright on each song. If it's still under copyright, you have to apply to the owner and they would usually charge a fee - but I don't know whether this applies at this stage, or would come into play once the book was going to be published.

Sorry that's all a bit vague, but it's definitely something to watch out for.
    by EmmaD at 12:05 on 15 January 2008
    A hymn book should have a list of the copyright holders, saying something like 'reproduced with permission'. If it's in the book and it's not listed you should be all right.

Emma
    by Murphy at 12:17 on 15 January 2008
    The 70 years rule should apply so you should be okay with a Wesley but not a Kendrick. It's a shame really as I'd like a few happy-clappy words adorning my novel.
    by Gillian75 at 15:29 on 15 January 2008
    Thanks for the advice!