Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 24 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Talking about your writing
    by CarolineSG at 20:58 on 26 October 2007
    Oh, and another reaction is "I'd love to write a book, but I haven't got the time." Funny, that. I didn't have the time either.

I love that line, Caro!
    Bugs me when people say that about reading too. I want to say, 'I bet you've got time to watch Eastenders though, haven't you?' but don't because it's well...pretty awful and a bit snobbish. But true - ha!
    by susieangela at 21:02 on 27 October 2007
    I've just found this thread, and so glad I did. I so relate to what you say, lastubbs, about the frustration of writing being so close to who you are, and the pain when people either ignore it or belittle it. I paint as well, and more often than not, when people come into my studio, they talk about the layout of it or the balcony or the view...and totally ignore the work. This hurt me hugely to start with, but these days less so. It also forces me to think about who I invite into my studio. It's hard not to be able to talk freely about what you do, when it's your passion. Especially when it's such an important part of who you are. The best thing, I think, is to keep searching out places like this, where people understand and encourage and know. How's about joining this community after all? We are part of the same tribe.
    Susiex
    by KHG at 21:12 on 28 November 2007
    I didn't tell anyone that I was writing a book until a year and a half after I'd started it. It was the biggest secret I've been able to keep from the whole world. That first year and a half was a difficult time for me - my housemates often questioned me about the abnormal amount of time I spent alone in my room.

Creating the story and working out the plot was exciting, and I wanted to talk about it. I felt it was necessary to reach a point in my writing where I felt totally commited to it, enough to let negative comments have no effect on me. In particular, I was worried about telling my parents - neither of whom read fiction - but they were surprisingly less negative than I'd expected.

Since that, I've been comfortable enough to tell whoever, although I usually find out if they actually read fiction before telling them. Fiction readers tend to be more positive, and they can also be quite useful. Some of them (family, friends, colleagues) offered to read complete drafts of my book. Their comments were probably a little biased in my favour, but good encouragement all the same.

KHG
    by Raziel_uk at 22:27 on 03 January 2008
    No matter what you tell some people you will get mixed, hostile, patronising, etc., reactions.

I've told my wife (and put on here) that I'm writing, but the other thing is people don't realise how much time it DOES take, and probably expect you to have it written in a few weeks.
    by JASE1985 at 23:37 on 07 January 2008
    Amazing thread. I've encountered similar reactions. I think it's the supposedly anti-social aspect of being a writer that creates such a hostile reaction from people.

If you turn up for work and someone asks you what you did last night, 'Oh, I was working on my novel' must seem weird and odd to them, because as far they are concerned going out and getting plastered down the same pub they go to every night is much more fun and acceptable.

It is also a matter of jealousy. Forget about it, that's what I try to do. Just be true to yourself.
    by helen black at 18:50 on 14 January 2008

Whenever I mentioned I was writing, the first question was, 'Are you published?'
    And I'd find myself going into long, ridiculous explanations.
    The day I got my publishing contract I felt at least I could hold my head high but the next question was 'Are you famous?'
    I've come to the conclusion that until I have outsold JK Rowling the vast majority of folks will be underwhelmed.
    Except of course close family and friends who whoop with excitement in WH Smiths and berate shop managers into having proper displays.
    Helen Black
    by m.trippen at 14:01 on 15 January 2008
    I cant speak for any one but the events that lead me to writing and what is represents in my life is far more than just a means of making money so forth.

I need money to survive and I would like enough not to have to struggle and maybe do some good to the world i.e. create useful things but fame and all those trappings hold no interest at all for me.

For me my writing is the most personal , deeply profound and expressive form of medium for me .

Its a friend , its my faith , its my mythology , its my race and ulitmately above all and everything else its that final hope I ever have of healing myself.

by susieangela at 17:21 on 15 January 2008
    Beautifully put.
    Susiex
    by Colin-M at 18:37 on 15 January 2008
    It's what I do when I've got nothing else to do.

By that, I don't mean it's the last thing I want to do, more that it's something pre-programmed in me that I always fall back on (or "hard wired" as Emma D put it in another thread).
  • This 24 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >