Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 26 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Reference to the Da Vinci Code
    by Gillian75 at 10:54 on 24 April 2007
    In my novel, I have made reference to the Da Vinci Code as written by Dan Brown. As it's set in 2009, there is also a sequel to the original book - the Da Vinci Code Part Two. B(ascially one of the character ends up in the Louvre and has a copy of the original book with her).
    Is there likely to be a problem with this idea? Any help is appreciated! Thanks
  • Re: Reference to the Da Vinci Code
    by Luisa at 11:01 on 24 April 2007
    I make a reference to another YA novel in my upcoming YA novel and it's been no problem with editor/agent/anyone so far. I did contact the author about it, but I don't think you need to - I'm sure Dan Brown won't mind!
    by Gillian75 at 11:42 on 24 April 2007
    Hopefully it's all fine in the Dan Brown camp - after all it's good publicity for his 'second' Da Vinci Code novel
    by Murphy at 15:32 on 24 April 2007
    Loads of folk refer to other novels in their novels so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Harry Potter turns up in mine.
    by Account Closed at 16:38 on 24 April 2007
    I refer to one of Philip K. Dick's novels in Endangerment Dolls. Without mentioning the name of the novel, I also take a sideways swipe at DVC in my last book. One of the historical characters in the DVC complains about the novel's glaring lack of accuracy while waiting to catch the Eurostar.

JB
    by NMott at 16:43 on 24 April 2007
    As mentioned in a recent thread, book titles can't be copyrighted, but some names are trademarked and cannot be used without permission, eg. Harry Potter.
    by Account Closed at 16:58 on 24 April 2007
    and (C) Jesus H. Christ?

JB
    by Gillian75 at 17:01 on 24 April 2007
    Thanks again for the help - I'll cross any bridges when I come to them!
    by NMott at 17:04 on 24 April 2007
    You're safe, JB; the names of dead celebs can be used
    by Dee at 17:29 on 24 April 2007
    I'll cross any bridges when I come to them!

The problem is, Gillian, that you could be in deep water before you even realise the bridge has crumbled under you. Don’t expect a publisher to clear potential copyright issues for you – it’s your responsibility, not theirs. And never assume that Dan Brown, or any other successful author, will enjoy the added publicity of your novel – they might just think you're jumping on their bandwagon.

Sorry if this sounds negative – but you need to be realistic. It’s a shit-tough world.

Dee
    by Luisa at 17:36 on 24 April 2007
    The author I spoke to was flattered that I'd mentioned her book.

Can you really not use 'Harry Potter'? I have a short story under submission that mentions 'Harry Potter glasses' - is that not allowed? Do I have to say 'boy wizard glasses'? Must find that thread.
    by Gillian75 at 17:45 on 24 April 2007
    If the worst comes to the worst I can remove the Da Vinci Code and replace it with a fictitious novel.
    (Hi Dan, if you're reading this!)
    by EmmaD at 17:51 on 24 April 2007
    As far as I know, if a trade mark is a normal word/s or name it has to have a particular physical look about it: it's literally the physical appearance that you're trademarking, just as you would the old BT 'Piper' or the London Transport roundel. So you couldn't print 'Harry Potter' in their typeface and colours, but there's nothing to stop you writing the name in your book. Same with Harrods or Penguin Books or Disney.

Unorthodox spelling is another way of keeping control of your business's name, hence Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

And as someone's said, there's no copyright in a title, or in principle in an idea, so Dan Brown couldn't sue (always supposing he hasn't had enough of courts to last him a lifetime!) even if he was outraged that you mentioned DVC. And you can use his name unless what you say is libellous and can't be defended as fair comment. The only thing you can't do without permission is quote verbatim from the book.

Emma

<Added>

But if in doubt, ring The Society of Authors.
    by Gillian75 at 18:00 on 24 April 2007
    My problematic situation is I have a character telling her partner about the book in the middle of the Louvre.
    However she gets a few of the facts comically wrong eg - 'this is where the book was written, right in here' etc...
    It's pretty obvious the factual info is wrong, and any reading audience will pick up on this and laugh...but....

I can see myself falling into quagmire here....
    by geoffmorris at 18:25 on 24 April 2007
    There is a follow up to The Da Vinci Code I think it's called the Solomon Key
  • This 26 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >