Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 34 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 
  • Re: Dilemma
    by anisoara at 07:41 on 20 March 2004
    I think that's quite a generalisation. In my experience of attending school in the United States, our good work was praised (usually - if it was known and / or apreciated); our not-very-good work was identified as such, hopefully telling us why; and the stuff inthe middle usually didn't attract much attention either way.

Now there may be an American perception of that an artist should be a prima donna.... But I think that would be quite a generalisation as well.

Ani

<Added>

To correct my typos: make that 'appreciated' with two m's; 'in the' instead of 'inthe'; and inthe second para, strike the 'of'.

Practice for critting!

<Added>

I meant two p's.

<Added>

Arghhhh - I give up!
    by Skeetr at 08:52 on 20 March 2004
    I feel your pain, Ani, for I also wish there was a psell ckecher on this thing. And, you're right, we also cannot generalise about whether or not this or that nationality has the corner on the Western, modern culture of the feel-good.

What this discussion of the dilemma has done, though, is help me realize how differently people define the word 'criticism' and the concept of 'I can take it, give it to me straight'...

So is this a forum for getting strong readings and criticism towards publication? or a communal spot to air heartfelt work without view to professional publication? -- it seems that we all have our own take on this. I think Geoff is right, though -- part of what WW is about is hashing these things through.
    by Becca at 08:58 on 21 March 2004
    I think it brave of Geoff to post his thoughts about it at the end of the day, as they say. And Geoff, I'm glad that you looked at some other work by the same writer, because that can help you approach the piece in question with more ease.
    Becca.
    by Account Closed at 17:12 on 31 March 2004
    I agree! The purpose of our posted comments may become watered down and ineffective if we start to worry too much about offending people or what people may say in response. As writers, it's an important skin to develop, in terms of thickness...no story in history has been able to please everybody has it?

Personally, I see that as what the 'go on, I can take it' designation is for. If I wrote a story and someone thought it was truly rubbish, I'd really rather they just said that. At least then I can find out why. I would never attack someone because of their opinion about my work, good or bad. Soemtimes you agree with a crit, sometimes not. Hopefully, you can always take what is right and constructive and shape a better narrative. It's the thing I love most about WW.

Readers, one day, will do this anyway - have an opinion on your published work. Just look at Harry bleeding Potter and the mixed response they get. If you can't take it, maybe you shouldn't be putting it out there anyway? I don't mean being overly harsh or nasty, but I welcome any honest opinion.

Recently, I got two very different reviews for a story I posted on here. One thought it was 'beautifully written' another slammed it (on a different site) but the difference in opinion was down to taste. I'll always try to give an opinion constructively, and objectively...forget about my own personal tatstes. I don't like romance novels, but if I read one and could see how it would appeal to a certain audience, I'd review it with that in mind, for example.

• This 34 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3