Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Breaking the rules
    by Dee at 17:04 on 02 October 2003
    First of all, thank you for your responses to my general query posting. It's so refreshing to find an ego-free zone.
    I wanted to tell you about a book I've just started reading. Some, or maybe most, of you may know it already. So, my appologies if I'm preaching to the converted. The author is Maggie O'Farrell and it's called AFTER YOU'D GONE. It is unputdownable.
    The big surprise for me, bearing in mind it was her first novel, is her flagrant disregard for 'the rules'. I've been told so many times that it's not a good idea to have characters' names starting with the same letter. She has Alice, Ann and - get this - Annie.
    But best of all is the viewpoints. She uses multiple POVs (nothing unusual there, of course) but she includes writing Alice, the main character, from both third person and first person. Without confusing me. I'm so impressed.
    Has anyone read it? What did you think?
    Dee.
  • Re: Breaking the rules
    by Account Closed at 17:27 on 02 October 2003
    I'm afraid it'll have to wait. I don't get enough time for reading recently, and I've just started "The One Tree", in the middle of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. After that I have to read Silk, by someone I've forgotten, and I then have no fewer than four Star Wars books to catch up on.

I need to read up on Visual Basic for Excel macros, more CIMA stuff and... probably something else as well.

*sigh*

Long gone are the days when I could fit 3-4 solid reading hours in every day.
    by riotous at 09:48 on 03 October 2003
    Silk is by Alessandro Barricco (sp?) and it's beautiful - good luck with all them!
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:32 on 03 October 2003
    Dee and Paradoxa- why not review these novels that have been so amazing in our Books section?