Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 17 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Poetry Cafe
    by Jibunnessa at 18:03 on 24 April 2003
    Hi guys.

Once upon a time, I read couple of my poems at the Riverside Studios in Hammersmith, London. We were outside, and it was a nice summer evening, but nobody really heard me 'cause of all the ducks and music blaring by the Thames.

Anyway, for ages wanted to pluck up courage to go to a Tuesday night (open mic) at Poetry Cafe in Covent Garden. As I don't have any dog barking or other fantastical things in my work, never plucked up the courage.

So:

(1) Looking through the poems I've put up, what do you think guys? Worth taking the plunge?

(2) Tell me which 3 you think would be good.

(3) Why not come too?

Anyway guys, I await your response with eager anticipation (...and perhaps a smidgeon of trepidation too)
  • Re: Poetry Cafe
    by roger at 18:57 on 24 April 2003
    You've got a lot more bottle than me, Jib...but, yeah, go for it! My choices would be -

Altruistic Elephant
    Jappa Cake....simply because I love the picture
    The First Time

And if there's time, the 'Z' jobby, just to show off a bit!
    by Shadowgirl at 19:34 on 24 April 2003
    My favourite is the Alturistic Elephant too.
    Oh Jib - well done, again I could never do this. Mind you of course I don't write poetry either - so well done on both counts and good luck!
    Shads
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:03 on 25 April 2003
    I Sat Breathless on Buses- because there's lots of lovely alliteration which would work well aloud. And The First Time. And Fried Egg? Jaffa Cake is fab tho. I have a poet friend who's done it several times there and found it friendly, not too scary. But let us know when you're planning on doing it! so people can come along if they're local enough. Good for you- I think your work is so visually lush and rich in language that it would work well as performance. There's also some info on Performance Poetry in James Graham`s interview, and on the Arts Council website there's a Live Lit link to similiar events.
    by Jibunnessa at 13:06 on 25 April 2003
    Thanks Rog, thanks Shads.

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to do this. I'm glad you like 'The Altruistic Elephant'. Don't know that I'd read the 'z' poem though. They'll probably throw me rotten eggs for trying to be a smart a**e (hmm, the actual word can't be submitted I've just found... veeeeery interesting!).

Anyway, if anyone else who lives in London or plans to come here fancies reading their stuff too, then why don't some of us go together?

Go on, give it a go!
    by Jibunnessa at 13:16 on 25 April 2003
    Hi Anna,

Just noticed that you've responded too. Thanks for the encouragement and poem suggestions. I agree that the 'I sat breathless on buses' would work well out loud ...in fact it's even better out loud than read off the page.

Anyway, thanks for the Arts Council reference, I'll look that up, and I'll also have another read of James Graham's interview.

Once I've decided exactly when I'm going, then I'll let you guys know. Open mic sessions (unless they've changed things ...I'll check) are on Tuesday nights. So, may be the Tuesday after the next one? They also do a similar but women-only open mic night on Wednesday. But, I think I'd prefer to read for everyone.

Anyway guys, perhaps anyone else interested in doing the same, can email me, and we can do it together.

Thanks again Anna, Rog and Shads for the suggestions.
    by Anna Reynolds at 15:13 on 25 April 2003
    Why not put something on the poetry group to this effect? you probably already have, but if not.. Yes, I saw the women-only night... it's called Cat's Night Out, which sounds ominous..
    by Jibunnessa at 15:20 on 25 April 2003
    Hi Anna,

Good job that I have someone like you to get my brain into gear. I forgot all about the poetry group wwmail.

I'll send one now.

'Cat's Night Out'. Yes, doesn't really endear me personally.
    by roger at 15:24 on 25 April 2003
    Sounds good to me, though. Is that worrying?
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:18 on 25 April 2003
    Yes. Deeply.
    by roger at 16:22 on 25 April 2003
    Oh dear. Better go and think this through. Feel a bit silly now.

But Jib,we are rooting for you. Do let us know how it goes (and I still think you're incredibly brave).
    by Jibunnessa at 17:32 on 25 April 2003
    Nice to know you're rooting for me Rog :¬)
    by Jibunnessa at 15:21 on 04 May 2003
    Thanks to everyone that sent me suggestions.

I've actually though got myself a teaching job on Tuesday evenings. So, alas, won't be able to do this until mid July.

Perhaps I'll see some of you then?

Cheers, Jib.
    by fevvers at 18:07 on 09 May 2003
    Jibunessa

I would try a floor spot at Poetry & Jazz too. A lovely audience and fantastic for boosting confidence. Every saturday at The Poetry Cafe - get there for 7.30 to sign up - no ducks I promise. The Altruistic Elephant would go down a treat. Roddy Lumsden's reading on the 17 May, that might be a good night. Go on, it's not as hard as you think.
    by Jibunnessa at 18:13 on 09 May 2003
    Cheers Fevvers.

Wasn't aware of the Saturday night slot.

Looks like I won't have to wait for mid July after all

So thanks.

Glad you like the 'Altruistic Elephant'

---Jib
  • This 17 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >