Login   Sign Up 

• So after the blog I`ve..
    by Traveller at 00:36 on 18 September 2009
    signed up to Authonomy - I've uploaded 7 chapters of my novel here - hope WW members can support it!

http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=12010

Thanks.
  • Re: So after the blog I`ve..
    by NMott at 08:53 on 18 September 2009

Authonomy is full of members who are hot on self publishing, and there are even a couple of 'success' stories on Authonomy's home page to whet the appetite - although if you read them carefully, you'll see they didn't need to got to bother with self-publishing to get an agent/published.
    Just bear in mind that if you slap an IBSN number on your mss you will then have to sell thousands of copies to interest an agent or publisher.

'Magical realism' is a very tough genre to crack. The term has been used and abused so much over the years that agents are now wary of it. If you can label the work Lad-lit it will stand a far better chance, (cf. Nick Hornby's Slam).

Good luck.

- NaomiM
    by Account Closed at 10:20 on 18 September 2009
    I'll need to register but had a quick read and you do write well! I can see this doing well on Authonomy - have you been sending out to agents?

Sarah
    by helen black at 13:04 on 18 September 2009
    At the HC summer party this year my ed's assistant told me she'd picked up a couple of book on Authonomy and begged the commissioning ed of the group to let her run with them. She got the go ahead and they will be published.
    The young woman in question has just been made a proper editor.
    So it can work as a way into publishing.
    I do have some reservations about the sort of deal on offer...but then I'm an old cynic.
    HB x
    by Shika at 14:34 on 18 September 2009
    I think magical realism is a tried and tested technique with very credible post-colonial novels. The label had enabled many non-European writers to provide an aesthetic through which 'otherness' can be presented and if this is what you are aiming to achieve with your novel then I urge you to continue to use it. Sorry Naomi, I have a natural aversion to avoiding doing anything because it's 'tough to crack.' S
    by Traveller at 19:00 on 18 September 2009
    Thank you, Sarah. I've been pleasantly surprised by all the positive comments on the site about my novel streaming in! And these are all people I don't know so they must carry some weight!

<Added>

*groans* just realised it's a mutual "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of site. For a moment I thought I had some genuine fans! lol
    by Nik Perring at 00:34 on 19 September 2009
    Not for me, thanks. Though I do wish you all that you deserve.

Nik