Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• `Beginner`........yep, definitely `Beginner`.
    by SelectivelyDeaf at 19:30 on 02 August 2003
    I have just recently done a search for Writers Forum's (Fora?) and came up with this one as one of the busiest.

I've been working on what i see as my first serious attempt at a novel, and am now at the stage of needing moral support, etc.

I intend to have a good read around the forum in the next few days, but would appreciate any pointers anyone could give me in the meantime.

My novel will be in the Horror/Crime categories (according to how much more horrific i decide to make it).

Would i be best to upload what i've done to date, or should i post a brief synopsis of what i have planned? Alternatively, should i just read around for a while and watch the others at work?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post (and in anticipation of any replies).

One further point - is it best to join one of the groups (because i noticed a few were full at present)?
  • Re: `Beginner`........yep, definitely `Beginner`.
    by Account Closed at 19:59 on 02 August 2003
    Hey there.

Firstly I would certainly recommend uploading a chapter or two for us to look at. We're all adults here, so there won't be any sniggling behind covered mouths or anything, so you've nothing to fear. From my experiences, everyone on the site is very friendly and highly sympathetic of writers, whatever difficulties they come across.

And good luck with continuing the novel. I couldn;t write crime myself, you have to be very careful to watch out for potential plot-holes I think. I'm better suited to writing about random misery given what I was writing on here in my drunken stupor last night. But the less said about that the better I reckon.

And, before I forget, welcome to Writewords.

<Added>

Oh, and as for the groups, it's definitely worth getting into one which is relevant to what you're writning about. That way you can put your work up to be read by a group of writers who are writing in the same vein, and therefore their feedback will be more closely aimed at what you're doing/trying to so.
    by Becca at 08:17 on 03 August 2003
    Yes, IB is on target, (I wonder what he was saying, I haven't seen that). Also a good idea not to upload too much in one go if possible, because when there's a lot of other things to read, people go pale when confronted with a really long piece. You have to decide where you can cut things and they still make sense. From experience of reading I'd say if possible 5,000 - 6,000 words max. But it could be different in the section you work fits in.
    by stephanieE at 10:26 on 04 August 2003
    Welcome, SelectivelyDeaf (great handle by the way). IB is spot on, and I would echo Becca too, except I think that people's threshold is slightly lower, maybe 2,000 - 3,000 words.

And if I may, can I suggest that post the first chapter (or part chapter) rather than the synopsis - I like to plunge straight in, and sometimes the synopsis gives away too much and as the reader you've been told the punchline ahead of time (which I find v v annoying). We were talking about having a separate section for synopsis's - er... synopses? - as they can prove tricky in themsleves.

You don't have to join a group, but it helps, as you are likely to get good feedback from like-minded writers. And the more you comment on others' work, the more likely you are to get constructive comments back!

Looking forward to reading some of your work.