Login   Sign Up 

This 201 message thread spans 14 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9   10   11   12   13   14  > >  
  • Re: New Look
    by Account Closed at 21:12 on 08 January 2014
    Returning to the 100+ comment: as I said earlier, I don't think it would work in the poetry or flash groups. But I do think we need something like it in the groups that are concerned with critiquing longer pieces of work.

I can't say how many times I've critiqued someone's work and had no response. No thank you or anything.

Like Andy, I note it is mainly trial members, but there are instances of full members not reciprocating. A recent example was a member (trial?) who came along, said he wanted to participate in WW and then posted his work in IC. He had four critiques, gave a one line comment on someone else, and buggered off, probably to do the same elsewhere.
    Edited by Sharley at 21:13:00 on 08 January 2014
    by Mand245 at 21:28 on 08 January 2014
    I can't say how many times I've critiqued someone's work and had no response. No thank you or anything.
    This has been a recurring problem since I joined in 2009. Many times I've done a long critique and had no response - not even a thank you. I've also done long critiques for people who have reciprocated by posting a "detailed" critique in return, such as "I like this" or "this is great," and that's it! This issue has been raised in the forums many, many times. I for one would like to see some system that encouraged/ensured better reciprocation.

Sharley - thanks for your explanation of the mystery "42" thread. I tried to tick "like" and "made me smile" on your post but those functions don't seem to be working!
    Mand
    Edited by Mand245 at 21:29:00 on 08 January 2014
    by Cornelia at 21:47 on 08 January 2014
     Manusha, it's ctrl z for restore then ctrl y for redo. I don't think  x comes into it. Or am I getting it mixed up?frown

Sheila
    by calliaphone at 22:26 on 08 January 2014
    Ctrl x = "cut"
    Ctrl c = "copy"
    Ctrl v = "paste"

(that's from memory, plz anyone correct me if i've said that wrong - i know it with my fingers better than with my head, if you see what i mean. Also, swiss cheese brain tonight, just spent half an hour searching for my car outside the gym, before remembering i drive a red car, and not the grey one i was looking for...)

Also, David, i just tried posting the above message from my iPad and it wouldn't let me. kept saying "you have not entered a message" (as if it wasn't recognising i'd entered any text). When i switched to the laptop, it was fine. Never had a problem with the iPad before - something to do with the new editor, perhaps?

Also also! What's up with the "Edited by" text? I promise i didn't mess with the formatting myself :)

Edited by calliaphone at 22:27:00 on 08 January 2014
    Edited by calliaphone at 22:28:00 on 08 January 2014
    Edited by calliaphone at 22:29:00 on 08 January 2014
    by Catkin at 00:51 on 09 January 2014

I can't say how many times I've critiqued someone's work and had no response. No thank you or anything

Yes, me too. It's really, really annoying and has made me wary of doing critiques for new members.

I've also done long critiques for people who have reciprocated by posting a "detailed" critique in return, such as "I like this" or "this is great," and that's it!

Yes, I've had that too, and it's also annoying. But ... sometimes - sometimes - I do think there is an excuse or explanation: people very new to writing and critiquing can lack confidence about giving critiques, and making just a small comment can be a way into it for them, so I don't think we should always be down on an ultra-short "critique".

by AlanH at 02:03 on 09 January 2014
    Regarding a system for fair critiquing, Scribophile has karma. In my view, it is excellent.

It works by making members 'spend' 5 karma to post work for critique. Karma is only 'earned' by doing critiques. (An average length IC crit would earn approx. 2 karma). As you can appreciate, it eliminates the 'post and run' types who have infested WW and infuriated most of us.

I'm not saying it's right for WW, but something based on 'save up - do crits, before you spend - post work' would be advantageous for all. 

by tusker at 06:54 on 09 January 2014
    Still unable to paste new poem for challenge. Those red letters still there. Will have to write a 100 times 'I must write 100 word comment' a hundred times if need be. Like being back in school. 
    by Cornelia at 07:14 on 09 January 2014
    Calliaphone, those  key codes weren't ones for  editing text but to (try to) restore text lost during editing, which I've found to be a problem. So if the text disappears you can try ctrl +z .

I've also had one about not having written a message.

Sheila
    Edited by Cornelia at 07:16:00 on 09 January 2014
    Edited by Cornelia at 07:18:00 on 09 January 2014
    by Artista at 08:54 on 09 January 2014
    The 100 word critique is inappropriate for the Flash Poetry group where most poems are less than 100 words in the first place!  I vote that this rule does not apply to poetry groups.
    Jo
    by david bruce at 09:19 on 09 January 2014
    Current thinking is not to apply the rule to poetry or flash fiction. But apply it elsewhere. Any objections?
    by Becca at 09:30 on 09 January 2014
    I think it's fine ... 100 words isn't much. On SS we also have had our fair share of people who upload work, get critiqued with care, and then don't respond in a similar way. We had someone recently who uploaded their second story without either commenting on the critiques of the first one, or commenting on anyone else's work. Consequently nobody critiqued the second one and I have a feeling that the person has withdrawn from WW now... fine by me!
    by EmmaD at 09:40 on 09 January 2014
    Re text disappearing, on WriteWords (though not on all sites) I've found that if I type stuff in and "post" it, only to find it hasn't posted, the Back button will take me back to the posting page and what I typed is almost always still there. Obviously it depends on why it disappeared - if I deleted it, it won't, but if it was my internet, it usually will.

And believe you me, the other site I'm sometimes involved in is MUCH flakier - and then there's FB eating things randomly. WW is a miracle of stability by comparison.
    by Artista at 10:32 on 09 January 2014
    To have the 100 word rule not applicable to the poetry groups would be perfect David. Thank you!
    Jo
    Edited by Artista at 10:33:00 on 09 January 2014
    by NMott at 10:38 on 09 January 2014
    I've also had text disappearing when I post on other sites. As you say, Emma, backspace will recover it. I think it's something to do with how long you've had the page open before you post, and the 'session's expired' and connection is lost. Another reason why it's best to do it in Word first.
    by calliaphone at 13:15 on 09 January 2014
    I wonder if the fast first draft group might be one for exemption from a minimum word count too? People's comments there aren't meant to be critiques (the posted work is more of a status update, and not pieces of work for critique), and tend to take the form of people cheering each other on. Sometimes that happens as longer comments, sometimes it's very brief, and from what I've experienced, any length of comment is welcome. But the other group members/group host may want a chance to give their views before any decision is made.
  • This 201 message thread spans 14 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9   10   11   12   13   14  > >