Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 201 message thread spans 14 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6  7  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  > >  
  • Re: New Look
    by NMott at 15:56 on 08 January 2014
    Cornelia, did you try 'ctrl Z' for 'undo' when that happened? It might be that the text was accidentally highlighted and then deleted when you carried on typing, but ctrl Z should have recovered it, although you may have needed to go back a few paces.

Edited by NMott at 15:59:00 on 08 January 2014
    by tusker at 16:17 on 08 January 2014
    Referring to the 100+ word comment, the poetry group I'm with is small. Poems, in my opinion, don't need those many words. We may make suggestions on each others work and might extend rwould go over that word count, but to be restrrarely those wouldn't contain as many words. Now I can't delete the errors above.  
  • Comment ruling ludicrous in our context
    by V`yonne at 16:23 on 08 January 2014
    I am most upset (and I am not the only one) about the new comments rule. Some of our work in Flash Poetry in particular is only three lines long. To expect a 100 word comment may mean we lose members. I am rethinking this myself! I have always been pleased with any comment no matter how short. Also if a member is first that week to try to put up a piece of work, they cannot possibly have commented on another's work that week. Please reconsider this ruling. The survival or some forums may depend on it.

Oonah V Joslin
    by EmmaD at 16:23 on 08 January 2014
    ctrl + z is brilliant - and virtually universal, too. Doesn't depend on the program...
    by Cornelia at 16:25 on 08 January 2014
    No I didn't try that. Thanks for the tip NMott -it will save a lot of teeth-gnashing,
    by david bruce at 16:29 on 08 January 2014
     V`yonne and tusker - some fair points there. I've lifted the limit for now until we work out a better plan!
    by V`yonne at 16:37 on 08 January 2014
    Thank you. I am sure that comments beget comments and so anyone serious about wanting them gives them. As to a word limit on comments I don't think that makes sense at all. It's like writing
    I must write one hundred words
    over and over again would do the job.

I think it should be up to forum hosts to make sure people play the game. If someone doesn't then it should be easier to get rid of them.

I shall tell the good news at the forum!

by EmmaD at 17:04 on 08 January 2014
    And if, after you Undo whatever disaster/deletion it was with ctrl+z , you decide that actually you quite like the disaster and want it back, you just do ctrl+y, for Re-Do, and you've redone it!
    by Manusha at 17:17 on 08 January 2014
    That's a good tip about Ctrl+x and Ctrl+y, Naomi and Emma. I'm gonna write it down on an actual piece of paper with an actual pen so I don't accidentally undo/redo/delete it! 
    by Manusha at 19:05 on 08 January 2014
    Returning to the 100+ comment: as I said earlier, I don't think it would work in the poetry or flash groups. But I do think we need something like it in the groups that are concerned with critiquing longer pieces of work.

This issue has been raised many times In IC, and I can imagine it has in other groups. It can be very frustrating for members when they generously give their time and do their best to give a detailed and considered critique (sometimes running into thousands of words, what to speak of a 100), only to find that the recipient is either not willing or has no intention of reciprocating. Personally, it doesn't matter if a member wishes to reciprocate on my work in particular, but I do want to see them reciprocating with the group. 

As for this responsibility falling upon the group host, I've often tried to address the issue but there have always been certain members who don't seem to think it applies to them. Quite often this has concerned part members, but full members have at times had the same attitude of taking without feeling they have any obligation to give in return. 

If there could be a system that encouraged a fairer give and take, one that has the backing and authority of site administration, I for one would be very appreciative. 

by NMott at 19:43 on 08 January 2014
    Actually, it's just happened to me, while I was editing a comment. The whole text disappeared and I found that ctrl z didn't  work.. Thankfully I hadn't posted the edited version so could cancel the edit.

When I'm writing crits I always do it in Word or Pages first then copy and paste it on the forum. That way I won't lose it all if anything untoward happens.

I'm also finding the highlight facility very patchy in these comment boxes, and it's easy to highlight the wrong part of the text and delete/overwrite it. Not sure if this was what happened just now - i didn't see the text highlighted before it disappeared - so it seems there are a couple of glitches here.

Edited by NMott at 19:49:00 on 08 January 2014
    by andinadia at 19:52 on 08 January 2014
    David - I tried to 'Like' Manusha's comment but my 'Like' had disappeared when I went back to the page again.

Anyway, I'm amazed at members who receive many critiques without any reciprocation.
    by Manusha at 20:30 on 08 January 2014

Anyway, I'm amazed at members who receive many critiques without any reciprocation.

Sad, but true, Andy. crying

Thanks for trying to like my comment. Even if it didn't work it's the thought that counts. smiley
    by Catkin at 21:01 on 08 January 2014
    What the **** has happened to the layout of the groups? I don't understand them now!
    by Account Closed at 21:06 on 08 January 2014
    I'm unable to open the top "last activity topic" in the "42" group. It has no title and nothing to "click" on, but says it has 14 replies, so someone must be able to see it. On the other hand, it is the "42" group so maybe it's just there as a test to examine my existential nihilistic credentials!
    Mand - I think this is Gaius having fun. Certainly he's been having a whole conversation going on which no one else can join in (or work out how to).

smiley
    Edited by Sharley at 21:06:00 on 08 January 2014
  • This 201 message thread spans 14 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6  7  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  > >