Login   Sign Up 

This 201 message thread spans 14 pages: 1  2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  > >  
  • New Look
    by david bruce at 14:01 on 03 January 2014
    We're ushering in a new look to the site today, so please bear with us - things may go a bit wonky for an hour or two.
  • Re: New Look
    by EmmaD at 14:51 on 03 January 2014
    looks VERY elgant, though...
    by david bruce at 14:59 on 03 January 2014
    Thanks Emma! One of the main new features also live is the home page with gives a full list of site activity which I think should be pretty helpful.
    by Alex29 at 16:24 on 03 January 2014
    Yup OK except it is very pale and blurry I am struggling to read it.
    by EmmaD at 17:12 on 03 January 2014
    it is very pale

I am aware that on my super-clapped-out computer at Goldsmiths (that's not meant as a dig at the institution: I really don't need much computing oomph there) the elegant, pale colours do vanish to nothing. It sometimes makes a quick scan of a forum a bit slower - also the box one's typing in doesn't stand out from the rest of the screen. It's not a problem at all on other computers: I suspect it depends how shot the screen is.
    by Account Closed at 17:44 on 03 January 2014
    It's fine - I like the logo and the new font - but I think it's a bit bland, especially if you want to draw new members in.

I'm probably being unfair, as you are in the middle of changing it, but it could do with a photo or striking image at least. A photo/image also has a dual purpose to show what the site is/does, rather than crowding the page with words.

And, while I like the muted effect, it wouldn't harm to add a dash of colour.

But it's easy for me to say sitting here relaxing.

by Alex29 at 18:57 on 03 January 2014
    Some of the typing ie in the Guidelines bit above where I am typing and in the my profile page is almost invisible other bits are fine- I don't think it is this screen and I am wearing my glasses. Also the instructions to the left of this typing box below 'bold text' ditto very patchy- much feinter than this actual type. Is it meant to be grey rather than black? MC
    by eve26 at 19:20 on 03 January 2014
    The adverts seem the biggest, brightest part of the site - not sure that should be right? Still feels a bit washed out at the mo.

Are you still considering inline commenting - as this would really help I think. I struggle to remember half my points otherwise and am not organised enough to make notes!
    by SusieL at 19:53 on 03 January 2014
    I like the new layout, but the type is definitely a little too washed out.
    by Skippoo at 19:56 on 03 January 2014
    I like the site activity on the home page, but I am finding the font used on the WriteWords heading to be a bit squint-inducing and would prefer something bolder!

Catherine
    by Astrea at 20:04 on 03 January 2014
    Hmm. I like the overall revamp, but it does look very pale, I agree. Any chance things might be tweaked a little?

We don't necessarily need glorious technicolour, but currently I think the site is looking a little anaemic!
    by Midnight at 22:38 on 03 January 2014
    Looks very different, but nice. However I do agree that the font isn't as easy to read as the previous font. Perhaps if it were bold. I often open Writewords on one of the groups instead of going through the homepage as I stay logged on and it seems to open when I type in the web address at which ever group I was in last. I think I'll visit the home page more often as it seems more user friendly with some very useful links. I particularly like the 'all activity' and 'my activity' tabs as I think it will help me find something I've commented on quicker if I wanted to revisit it and it displays the last competed on topics in a way which shows how busy they are which I would imagine will encourage people to look at these threads. Perhaps that feature was always there but I had never noticed it before.

by Annecdotist at 08:53 on 04 January 2014
    I like the new look but can't find the blogs. help please!
    by david bruce at 10:11 on 04 January 2014
    Thank you for the feedback. Obviously readability is number one on our priority list! We've darkened the overall font this morning. Let me know if that feels better. Still more work tweaking various aspects of the look on-going...
    by Alex29 at 11:42 on 04 January 2014
    Hi- I am still struggling with the small brown type. ie below where I am typing the last bit under 'Linking' The W's of Write Words are almost not there. The black is better but it could be stronger again for me - I am reading this type fine but when I up load it I struggle to read it back without a good squint!. I like the way it handles though. I am stealing a few min here and there and haven't had a proper look at my usual times when it was especially slow - very early AMs but it feels quicker. Not sure about seeing a list of who 'likes' what but that is a personal thing it looks sychophanic- and I don't have my dictionary hand so have no idea if I spelt that right or not!! If there IS a spell checker here please someone put me out of my misery and tell me where it is?!MC

Edited by Alex29 at 11:43:00 on 04 January 2014
  • This 201 message thread spans 14 pages: 1  2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  > >