Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Happy New Year Writeworders!
    by Anna Reynolds at 18:42 on 01 January 2014
    Happy New Year to all on WW, and I'm wondering what your writing resolutions might be for 2014? Mine are to finish two plays that have been started and paused, and to start something completely new, no idea what, might be something totally different to anything I've written before. What's yours?
  • Re: Happy New Year Writeworders!
    by EmmaD at 18:49 on 01 January 2014
    Happy New Year from me.

My main resolution is to finish a draft of The Itch of Writing Handbook, which I'm about 40k words into. Plus I want to find time to write some short fiction purely to please myself, with no preconceptions or destinations in mind for it.
    by GaiusCoffey at 19:01 on 01 January 2014
    Just... To write, I guess. Work and life went nuts last year or so, but have been scribbling again and loving it. Want to get a full draft for year end.
    G
    by Account Closed at 19:16 on 01 January 2014
    I want to redraft this novel and get it ready to submit. Fingers-crossed it's good enough for an agent/publisher to take it on. But, either way, I hope to start on the next novel in the Spring.

Strangely, I have exactly the same writing goals as this time last year. I'm nervous that I may end up with a hat-trick of New Year writing goals.

I forgot to say Happy New Year everyone! Good luck with your writing in 2014.

Edited by Sharley at 19:17:00 on 01 January 2014
    by Jennifer1976 at 20:11 on 01 January 2014
    Happy New Year all!

My main goal is to finish the second draft of my memoir, print it out and stick it in a drawer for a bit then figure out which bits of it need most work (prob a lot!). I need to get lots of feedback on it so plan to become more active in Intensive critique. I've got lots of other ideas of writing-y things I'd like to do but with new baby due in June I don't want to aim too high!

Edited by Jennifer1976 at 20:11:00 on 01 January 2014
    by eve26 at 14:44 on 02 January 2014
    Happy new Year!

My goal is to complete my edits to publishers agreement and then to concentrate on book 2 and some shorts.

by Skippoo at 16:20 on 02 January 2014
    Happy 2014!

Mine is to finish the final draft of Gonna B within the next few months and yes, also start something new. Or, more likely (if I consider what keeps drifting into my thoughts), get back to something old.

Oh, and not to be too busy in my day job (say NO to stuff!), to take more time out for relaxation (including re-introducing those long forgotten things, lunch breaks) and start a proper, regular meditation practice. These are general, but affect writing in more than one way, I think.

Catherine x
    by SamanthaT at 17:15 on 02 January 2014
    Happy New Year, all! I need to get more organised so i can fit in writing short stories with my second novel. And i need to become more fit - bum fixed to seat for 3 months since i got my deal, has taken a mighty toll...
    by Astrea at 19:01 on 02 January 2014
    Can't believe how much brighter the site looks already with so many people adding avatars!

By the end of this month, I have to have finished revising the current novel and get it sent off to my agent. Only five chapters left to revise, so no excuse really

Then I have to rough out a synopsis for the next one. But my big , big aim for this year is somehow to write faster, or more efficiently, or something. I am so slow! Can't stop revising as I go. And going back. And back...

And yes, Happy New Year to all WWers!
    by Catkin at 12:09 on 03 January 2014
    Mine is to use this year to decide whether to go on writing at all. 2013 was a very bad writing year (not much produced). This year I'm either going to do better and get back into it, or chuck it in. I gave up once before, and lasted seven years before I came back to it. I'm thinking I could be coming up to another break of that sort - perhaps not totally giving up writing for ever, but if I can't do better this year, then a open-ended break will be in order, I think.
    by AlanH at 07:23 on 06 January 2014
    To make use of the things I learned last year (and the year before that:

To write well, I need solitude and peace and quiet. Nothing else - no internet, especially.

Editing is enjoyable because it is making something less-than-perfect better.

When I have the time, write like there's no tomorrow, because there might not be.

If I am improving my work by making changes (and I believe I am), then it is not finished.

Don't forget to read.

Crit other work as if it were as important as my own.

by Anna Reynolds at 09:28 on 07 January 2014
    Alan I liked this:

Crit other work as if it were as important as my own.
    by Freebird at 10:09 on 07 January 2014
    Happy New Year, everyone - some worthy goals here.

Mine are:
    1. keep writing as many reading books as I can (ongoing)

2. Write a complete 7-9 book and have it completely ready for subbing by Easter.

3. Complete first draft of my current YA wip
    by AlanH at 13:04 on 07 January 2014

perhaps not totally giving up writing for ever, but if I can't do better this year, then a open-ended break will be in order

Catkin, are you putting unnecessary pressure on yourself? You're not writing to a deadline are you? So, why not view writing as a pleasure? A bit like fine wine, to be indulged in, maybe over-indulged, but with no final goal, other than the pleasure of the moment.

And always remember - you are a winner. Not many can say that.
    by Catkin at 13:34 on 07 January 2014

So, why not view writing as a pleasure?

Because if I viewed it that way, I would give up right now - because at the moment it isn't a pleasure; it's just work. I've done too much for too long, and I think I may be bored and burned out. But ... with the right idea, I think it would be possible to find some enthusiasm again, so I'm not quite ready to give up. Which is what having a Make or Break Year is all about. Also, I don't really want to give up the short stories just yet, because I'm quite close to having enough prizewinners for a book, and I think it would be a good thing to have a book to show for all my years of short-story writing.
  • This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >