Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Calling all playwrights/radio/TV writers!
    by Anna Reynolds at 18:14 on 27 December 2012
    I'm wondering about starting a dramatic writing group/group forum to chuck ideas and thoughts, queries etc around about radio, theatre, musical theatre, screen and dance writing. This is partly selfish as I write in all these forms except musical theatre..! But I am curious to see if some of you WriteWorders may also be dabbling in these forms and/or would like to and might appreciate a dedicated group/s or forum. I know there's some crossover in terms of general good advice etc from the general, mostly fiction based areas, but dramatic writing does have its own structure and specialities such as dialogue, writing good effective stage direction, etc... so if you might be interested, post here.
    And happy new year!
    Anna
  • Re: Calling all playwrights/radio/TV writers!
    by Jem at 12:20 on 28 December 2012
    I would be interested theoretically, Ann. It might be the kick up the arse I need. I have always been interested in radio drama as I listen to a lot of plays and always have and adore the form. I also went on an a radio drama course at Arvon with Sue (?) forgotten name who is head of drama for Radio 4 and she was very encouraging to all of us. But I haven't done much since I got back from it because of my need to earn a crust from my other writing. It might be nice to have a group to belong to as a new year's resolution. I bet Catkin would be interested too!

<Added>

Sorry, Anna!
    by Catkin at 23:04 on 28 December 2012
    I bet Catkin would be interested too!

Yes, I am.

When I was writing radio drama, I ended up knowing loads and loads and loads - lots of tips and wrinkles, lots of info about producers and production companies, lots about the way the BBC works.

I bet it's mostly out of date now.
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:34 on 29 December 2012
    Hi Jem and Catkin
    Good to hear from you- I like the sound of tips and wrinkles, Catkin- I bet they won't have dated?
    if we get a few more interested people I'll set up a group. What would work best- exchanging tips and ideas and asking questions, having guest screen/stage writers 'visit', etc or attempting a draft of something, maybe a very short play?
    by Jem at 13:36 on 29 December 2012
    All of the above!
    by EmmaD at 16:52 on 29 December 2012
    Oooh, yes, I'd be interested in joining in. Not necessarily for drafting a play, but certainly for discussing awkward things and tips and stuff.
    by helen black at 17:30 on 31 December 2012
    I'd be interested.

I've been threatening to write drama for too long and doing nowt about it...that said I know less than nowt about it!
    HB x
    by FelixBenson at 15:30 on 01 January 2013
    I'd be interested in this group too. I have written a couple of short plays, plus a TV sitcom and a couple of radio comedies (with a writing partner). I probably write more drama - but comedy could be in there too, I hope? I think there's a lot of crossover here - plus it might be an opportunity to discuss what is being made, and why.

I'm not sure I have much expertise to offer, as I haven't had anything accepted yet - but I've only sent a couple of things out. I would offer a close, enthusiastic reading though!

Kirsty
    If you set up this group, I'm in.
    by Jem at 15:44 on 01 January 2013
    That's great, Katy! Looks like we're getting there!

<Added>

Personally, I'd like to do a few little exercises for radio writing, to get me into the spirit of it. There are so many things different about writing drama for radio compared to writing a short story that it would be great to have Anna's expertise to point out the fundamental schoolboy errors in a short piece.

I do think too that maybe I've tried to write something too big before - drama wise. When I first started writing I discovered I was fundamentally a short story writer - but even those were prefaced with short short pieces - scenes, situations etc. I think starting small and expanding might be the way forward in this new medium too. Less daunting that way.
    by Catkin at 16:02 on 01 January 2013
    I like the sound of tips and wrinkles, Catkin- I bet they won't have dated?

Probably the actual writing ones won't, but I knew such a lot about how the BBC worked and how the independent production companies fitted into their set-up, and loads and loads about the individual producers - where they were based, what they liked and didn't like, how easy or difficult they were to get responses out of ... I was even very into the incredible differences in sound quality produced by different studios. All hard-won knowledge, and most of it will be out of date now, I imagine. I was writing radio plays between about 2002 - 2006.
    by FelixBenson at 17:50 on 01 January 2013
    Hi Catkin
    The detail of what you know about radio sounds fascinating to me. I'm sure so much of it is still relevant! Can't wait to hear more.

As far as what I want to get from the group, I'd be interested in the mixture of sharing knowledge, experience, useful information about the industries/the technicalities and the structural advice, with creative feedback on current work. There's lots of great info on Writersroom and elsewhere, but you can't beat hearing actual experiences of writers, or getting some feedback from experienced writers - a rare commodity out there...and WW's best asset!
    by Anna Reynolds at 19:46 on 01 January 2013
    Oh goody, enough of us nearly I think.
    How about...my expertise (such as it is) is in stage writing, with a bit of libretto, really- and Catkin, you've got the radio nous- am sure there's a screenwriter among the hardcore who might pop in, so we could start gently by suggesting an exercise for (in my case) a very short stage play, and see who has time and energy to upload? forum threads in the group about various questions, I'll get a few visiting experty people to opop in etc... how does that sound?
    And Happy New Year everyone!
    by Jubbly at 11:40 on 02 January 2013
    Hi Anna, I'd be interested in joining. I've just recorded a sitcom pilot for R4 which will be broadcast in March but I've also entered their latest drama competition so always keen to improve.
    by rogernmorris at 11:11 on 03 January 2013
    I'd be interested. I've written a play, which I sent to a director who said he was interested in developing it with me. I haven't heard from him for a while (reminds me, I must chase)... but if any would be interested in the development process - if it materializes - I would be happy to share.

by blob at 11:35 on 04 January 2013
    Also interested. Have written screenplays and radio plays in the past (no success!)
    I think there are enough people to start this group (it isn't on the proposed groups page?) - also there is already a radio group so maybe their members could integrate this one.
  • This 18 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >