Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 25 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Commenting on other people`s work
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:07 on 04 April 2003
    Hi everyone

I just wanted to make clear a few things about how we all, as a writing community, approach commenting on people's work. I think it's important to be constructive, and to remember that exposing one's work- particularly on the web!- can make the writer feel vulnerable. So can we all just bear in mind the need to be sensitive when making comments? I'm not saying be nice, unless you want to, simply be considerate. And it's not always a good idea to tell people what they should do to their work- gentle suggestion is probably easier to take on board. And remember-- it's only an individuals opinion, hopefully helpful. But NEVER destructive.
  • Re: Commenting on other people`s work
    by Jibunnessa at 20:10 on 06 April 2003
    Definately agree Anna!

We are vulnerable creatures. In the past, I've often thought of ripping up my work or setting them alight and tossing the ashes across the landscape. Luckily, I've never done that.

In my case, these thoughts were quite useful, as they gave me an interesting story idea.

But, it is true that putting up our writing for public perusal is a huge thing - especially the first time.

So, we all need to be careful and make sure that we encourage rather than carelessly crush someone's spirit.
    by Shadowgirl at 14:36 on 09 April 2003
    Thank you for saying that Anna.
    This is the first time I have shown my writing to anyone other than my closest friends (and that was bad enough!!) so I was/am feeling both nervous and vulnerable about it. My writing, rightly or wrongly, comes so from my soul, that revealing it, is like showing a part of me I usually never do. Maybe I am over sensitive about my writing (although I am not like that about others areas of my life) but I so appreciate your sensitivity in understanding how even well meaning comments can hurt so much. Honestly is of course the most important thing of all - but as you say, considerately.
    I will take on board what you have said when it comes to making comments on other people's work myself too.
    THANK YOU!
    by Account Closed at 15:15 on 16 April 2003
    I welcome feedback in whatever form, providing the person commenting has actually read the work on which they are providing a critique.

Too often I've had to deal with philistines who attack things simply because it's too hard to read. And I don't mean that as in my writing is too complicated, but more because the audience is too lazy to read anything that isn't typed entirely in text talk and words of five letters or less.

I try to avoid negatively commenting on other people's work though. I find that silence speaks very loudly indeed.
    by Anna Reynolds at 20:00 on 16 April 2003
    Good point. As my old gran used to say, if you can't say owt nice, say nowt. Although I suppose constructive criticsm will sometimes seem negative-- I think it's the way you word it, and you can always, always find a gentle and helpful phrasing.
    by paul53 at 11:15 on 03 May 2003
    Having been guilty of passing by some posted works in silence, how does the person concerned know it has been viewed and left uncommented upon as opposed to not viewed at all?
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:08 on 03 May 2003
    They don't. We felt that having a counter telling people how many times their work had been looked at was probably not such a great idea- if as you say people look and pass on by, is the owner of the piece going to feel bad about that? If somebody wants to stimulate discussion, they can post in the forum asking for somebody to read a specific piece- or even asking why nobody has commented.
    by paul53 at 10:16 on 04 May 2003
    Of course no one wants a counter, but having to beg for reasons in the forum seems a poor alternative.
    Silence speaks volumes? Silence is silence - something filled with sounds of the recipient's own choosing. Those of us who have scribbled for decades and with a drawerful of rejections are wise to silence and the extremes it indicates [everything from a) your work is so awful it is beneath comment; to z) it is so good that everyone else hates you] but new writers need feedback. Most had their hearts in their mouths posting here in the first place. Will they really be quick to plead openly for feedback?
    by Becca at 10:50 on 04 May 2003
    It would be good if more of the 22 people in this group crited the work posted, and it must feel awful if someone puts up work that gets no comments, that shouldn't ever happen should it?
    I think criting is a really good exercise because it keeps you thinking writing all the time. I'm supposed to be taking a writing group at my local library soon and I'm nervous about it, but being on this site and looking at other writers' work is really helping to get me limbered up.
    Becca.
    by Hilary Custance at 09:22 on 06 May 2003
    Yes, failing to comment on others work is something that has troubled me. I have read several pieces that deserved commentary and simply not had time to devote sufficient thought to them. I have also read pieces that I didn't feel like commenting on. Long pieces are a problem and I have tried to print them off in order to read them at leisure (which never materialises). So silence has, in my case anyway, multiple meanings. Where a a sequence of chapters is already ongoing I have felt unable to join in without back reading, and there is too little time for that. In the end I dip rather unmethodically and comment if the clock allows, but I feel a great sympathy for anyone who posts work that gets no commentary and admire the group leaders for always making the effort within the group. Hilary
    by Jubbly at 10:01 on 06 May 2003
    I think there is invariably some confusion about the purpose of the writers group. The site offers a professional critiquing service for a fee. Which is great, but not everyone can afford this service or feel ready to take that step. Perhaps, we should only be submitting set themed pieces by the group leader or another appointed writer/critic, so it is more of a 'class' enviroment. Then we could avoid situations when the subject matter of an individuals piece is just simply not someones cup of tea. I do appreaciate the time factor, and often think, God I wish I had the opportunity to re read and critique properly, but that just isn't always the case. I do think the 'silent' treatment can lend itself to paranoia and God knows we don't need anymore of that.
    Cheers
    by Jibunnessa at 10:11 on 06 May 2003
    I DON'T want a class environment!

If sufficient people want one, then I think it would be OK to have a seperate section for this. However, I like to be able to submit what I like without being given themes.

I think however, some people are a bit nervous to comment (as mentioned to me in private email corresp). What I'd say to that is ...Gooo on, have a go! We don't bite! It's largely friendly here.

But, I would urge those of you who are largely lurking on the site at the moment, please do take part. I for one do want to hear what you have to say.

Cheers,
    Jib
    by Rosalind at 13:26 on 06 May 2003
    I lurk. In part thats because I don't feel that I am qualified enough to comment on anyone elses work. I read lots of peoples work, but the only comments I can offer are more to do with I like the piece or not, rather than a proper critisim of the work. I will try and comment more when I find work that speaks to me.
    by Jibunnessa at 13:35 on 06 May 2003
    "I will try and comment more when I find work that speaks to me."

Surely Rosalind, you're not saying that out of all the works uploaded on this site to date... nothing has spoken to you?

I think there's been some very good stuff.

And, even if you don't have detailed constructive criticism to give, it's always nice for people to know that their work is being appreciated. Especially if they haven't written much and are a bit nervous.

Gooo on. Be nice. If you like the piece, just say so.

You'll cheer someone up. Honest :-)
    by Rosalind at 14:12 on 06 May 2003
    No I'm not saying that nothing on the site has spoken to me.

Sorry That post sounded slightly confused.

I mean, up until now I haven't felt worthy enough to post. I will post in future, every time I read something I like.

Better?
  • This 25 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >