Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Does writing style reflect the writer`s age?
    by willsonjohn at 11:37 on 11 May 2015
    Hey Guys!!! I was thinking about this question and thought I should have discussion on this. Write your views regarding this...
  • Re: Do writing style reflect the writer`s age?
    by Freebird at 16:06 on 13 May 2015
    Hi Wilson,

perhaps it might kick off a good discussion if you write your views about this first and then other people can respond

by willsonjohn at 06:16 on 18 May 2015
    I think sometimes Writers write so that they can express their feelings which they could'nt in their real life and sometimes young writers write like mature writers so that they can show their maturity, so according to me its really difficult to say that writing style reflect writer's age. Now you all tell your views.
    by Freebird at 15:20 on 18 May 2015
    it depends on the skill of the writer really. A good writer can adapt their voice and tone according to the situation, so they might write as a ten year old child for one piece and as a ninety year old woman for another. That's the beauty of imagination

by willsonjohn at 11:11 on 19 May 2015
    Yes I totally agree with you. This is the best part which I like about writing. You have the power to control your characters and make them do whatever you want in your imagination.
    by alexhazel at 22:02 on 28 May 2015
    I think there's a difference between the overall style of the narrative, and the style that is used for individual characters' dialogue or points of view. From my own perspective, it's easier to adopt an age-specific style if I'm thinking from the point of view of a character in the target age group. Once I draw back from that perspective, my writing style tends to go back to something closer to my own natural writing voice.
    by Kennethjs at 11:49 on 04 June 2015
    Style is determined by taste, not age. The taste does change as you age, but it's not the number itself that changes you so much as it is your experiences.
    by alexhazel at 22:25 on 05 June 2015
    One thing that also changes with age is ones cynicism towards people who post blatant plugs for websites on the pretext of contributing to forums.
    by Philip Birch at 01:01 on 18 June 2015
    In my first novel the character at three years old used simple, naive English and uses child-words to describe events. At six years his English uses a broader vocabulary. At sixteen he's a know-it-all swearing with his mates and talking about sex. And so on.

All words used are authentic phrases used at the time and in the place, We didn't use too many 'OK's in the early 60's, it was mostly 'all right'. A gay man was a 'homo' cannabis was 'dope'. Or at least in Manchester ans Oldham at the time.
    by alexhazel at 06:54 on 18 June 2015
    I've used similar approaches, which is why I don't necessarily agree with the assertion implied by the title of this thread. The writing style needs to reflect the characters and the story being told, not the writer. If you start being able to deduce things about the writer, then they haven't done a good job of keeping themselves out of the way of the story.
    by yazzieabby at 11:42 on 04 August 2015
    Not at all. I've been on this forum, and many others aimed at younger writers, since I was eleven. In all that time, I've read work by older youths that sounds like something a five-year-old would write, and work by ten-year-olds I would have sworn were much older just by reading their work. While I think certain ages do carry more specific stylistic choices, generally (You can often tell based on what colloquial language they let slip by, I find) and what kind of content (for example, if the story is set in high school, the writer probably is in high school) but more often I'm surprised when I make these assumptions than not.

by BRIC Plus at 10:41 on 06 August 2015
    Yes, I agree that writing style reflects the writer's age. Writer writes what he has experienced in life, and reflects his imagination through words.

• Re: Does writing style reflect the writer`s age?
    by alexbryan4u at 13:56 on 29 October 2015
    This article helps What Is Chenille beginners to boost their moral and never give-up. Very energetic and thoughtful blog.http://www.digitemb.com/what-is-chenille-embroidery.php