Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Sharing an unoriginal (but useful) realisation!
    by Teika Bellamy at 17:23 on 06 June 2014
    As some of you know I run a small press (virtually) single-handedly and so I do nearly everything myself. I've pushed myself more for the marketing of the latest book I've published and so have spent many days emailing, publicizing, encouraging people to take an interest in the book etc. etc.

I know I read somewhere - was it: The Artists' and Writers' Handbook? - about how hard people work in book PR and I just wanted to echo that they do. They really do. I don't envy them the endless emailing and cajoling. I'd much rather be editing, or designing the book cover, or reading manuscripts... (Or catching up on news in WriteWords!)

Anyway, as in my title - this isn't an original realization, but it does make me think (again) of how much authors put into their own publicity too, when I'm sure they'd much rather be writing! But for a small press, an author's willing involvement to carry out promotion is so appreciated.

And if anyone knows of an affordable - but fantastic! - person who can work miracles in PR please do let me know!!  
  • Re: Sharing an unoriginal (but useful) realisation!
    by EmmaD at 17:31 on 06 June 2014
    Yes, it's very hard work and, as you say, it's also Not Writing... Best of luck with it. I suspect there are a good few freelance book publicists around, as the book trade's had a lot of redundancies. As you say WAAYB? Or do they advertise on the Bookseller website?
  • Re: Sharing an unoriginal (but useful) realisation!
    by Teika Bellamy at 17:51 on 06 June 2014
    Thanks for your comment Emma. I suspect that anyone who can afford to list in WAAYB etc. will be too expensive for me. I will have to keep searching (and wishing!) for a small miracle ;-)