Login   Sign Up 

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Holmes and Watson
    by Terry Edge at 12:07 on 02 August 2010
    I found the second episode a bit disappointing. Everything came across muffled, as if the writer couldn't really get his creative engine into top gear. The plot didn't make a lot of sense and there were just too many illogical details, e.g. how could Holmes possibly know the graffiti man was going to behind the National Gallery at that precise moment (and during the day?); how did the graffiti guy know an official was arriving in two minutes; and why would he know anything about special paints and Chinese symbols? The characterisation of Watson's love interest was shaky: she gives Watson a job, he sleeps through it on his first day and yet she seems to think this is quite jolly, even saying yes when he then asks her out on a date. And would she really have charged in on those circus villains, fists flying (an attitude that was somewhat contradicted later when she was tied up and screaming in old-fashioned helpless female role)? As for the A-Z clues: this is silly because while it may be true that everyone has an A-Z in London, they're published in all sorts of sizes, i.e. so the first word on page 15 is going to vary.
    by nessiec at 13:10 on 02 August 2010
    So did I, Terry - in fact, I found myself thinking about other stuff and even playing laser-toy with my cat, which I wouldn't have dreamed of doing the week before.

I found the amount of fighting-action hard to swallow and also it was pretty difficult to believe that a lady doctor just happened to be able to grab a sword and know how to field off a group of assasins QUITE so easily. I felt that the scintillating dialogue between Holmes and Watson was lacking this week, too. But I expect I will give it one more go for the last part
    by Astrea at 14:55 on 02 August 2010

Yes, have to admit I wasn't quite as enthralled, but the characterisation is really good, and hopefully they'll go out on a high next week.

I wondered if the graffiti youth was meant to be an updated 'Baker St Irregular'?
  • This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2