Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Holmes and Watson
    by Jem at 22:39 on 25 July 2010
    How camp was that! The Dr Who link is inevitable considering the writer. But lovely! I just wish BC would stop dying his amber locks. Be ginger and proud!
  • Re: Holmes and Watson
    by nessiec at 10:28 on 26 July 2010
    I thought it was fab. LOVED the script and loved the acting. I almost didn't watch and then was really glad that I did.
    by Katerina at 10:54 on 26 July 2010
    I absolutely loved this!

Loved the humour, and I thought the characters of Sherlock and Watson were brilliant.

Can't wait for next week

Kat
    by Astrea at 11:03 on 26 July 2010

I was really very uneasy about this when I heard about it, but have to say it worked brilliantly.

Great casting and clever script by writer(s) who obviously love and have respect for the original stories. Enjoyed this very much indeed
    by RT104 at 11:07 on 26 July 2010
    It was a hoot!

R x
    by nessiec at 11:50 on 26 July 2010
    It was, wasn't it? And Una Stubbs as the landlady was great, and I'm always thriled to see Rupert Graves in anything.
    by chris2 at 16:43 on 26 July 2010
    Much better than expected. Just one criticism - they seemed to be trying to make too much of a point about modern technology, and its use became so laboured as to become unconvincing. That aside, most enjoyable.

Chris
    by Account Closed at 17:22 on 26 July 2010
    I thought it was ace!

Although I did think that the little think-bubble thingies might wear a bit thin by the end of the series. Having said that, there are only 3 episodes I think, so it won't have time to get too tiresome.

Other than that, top marks beeb
    by ShellyH at 21:25 on 26 July 2010
    Loved it, wasn't going to watch, and missed the first five minutes, but so glad I caught the rest.
    by Tanya9771 at 22:52 on 26 July 2010
    I thoroughly enjoy it as well, and I'm very fussy when it comes to anything Holmes related (Jeremy Brett will always be my favourite Holmes, whether an adaptation is staying faithful to the era or putting a modern spin on the stories).

<Added>

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well, and I'm very fussy when it comes to anything Holmes related (Jeremy Brett will always be my favourite Holmes, whether an adaptation is staying faithful to the era or putting a modern spin on the stories).
    by Terry Edge at 10:34 on 27 July 2010
    Since I'm always knocking UK TV, I feel obliged to say I really enjoyed this, and believe it hit just about all the right buttons. It pulled off the really difficult task of making an entertaining programme without diminishing the intelligence of the main characters. For me, it was also closer to the original Holmes/Watson dynamic than a lot of other adaptations, and much as I'm also a fan of Jeremy Brett, I think this new guy added a few nuances which might make him even more believable in the end.

I had one small niggle. At the end, it appears as if Psycho Cabbie's game really was based on chance. But this seems very unlikely: a) that he would leave it to chance or if he did, b) that he would then win four times in a row. Surely, the writers could have Holmes deduce, say, that Cabbie had taken an antidote which meant both pills were actually bad. This would still have allowed Watson to save the day.

<Added>

Also, now I think about it, there doesn't seem to be any point in Moriarty having random people killed. All that appears to have done is alert Holmes to the fact he exists . . . unless, of course, that's his plan. Hmmmmm . . .
    by Astrea at 11:04 on 27 July 2010

I think Jeremy Brett will always be pretty close to perfect for the original Holmes.

But for a reinterpretation for the 21st century, this really was very good indeed. I think what there was a similar feeling of Holmes' being on the edge and definitely an uncomfortable person to be around.

Looking forward to the next one
    by Account Closed at 13:31 on 27 July 2010
    Yes, I enjoyed the fact that they reinterpreted the original Study in Scarlet plot, but it did mean that some of the aspects, eg the pills, were strangely under explained.

The idea in the original was (I think) a sort of trial by faith, with the implication that God could take a hand in punishing the guilty by ensuring that he would choose the poisoned pill (which he duly did). In the modern version this doesn't make any sense.
    by CarolineSG at 12:36 on 28 July 2010
    I loved it too. Brill TV.

Although, ahem, it does back up my theory that Stephen Moffat's heart isn;t really in the Doctor Who job! Having read Russell T Davies' book on a year of his life when on the show, I can't see how SM could have the time to do another major project like this.

Just saying

All credit to him though for H&W
    by vanessa rigg at 09:49 on 31 July 2010
    Now, I thought the pills thing was going to be Dorothy Sayers/Lord Peter W story line where the villain takes enough arsenic to build up an immunity. So both the pills are poisonous but he will never die from taking one.

Perhaps it will be explained in the next episode? I hope so because that was a really annoying trailing petticoat kind of thing - or should I update it to: oi! knickers in pants.

<Added>

gosh
    I'm just as bad. I meant to write: skirt in pants! As in the time I walked the length of the platform with my skirt tucked neatly into my kickers. Arggggh.
  • This 18 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >