Login   Sign Up 

This 88 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4   5   6  > >  
  • Re: Dr Who
    by CarolineSG at 10:51 on 26 April 2010
    Oh dear

Have been away and am catching up on missed episodes. Whole family thought the WWII Dalek one was just AWFUL.

Haven't seen Saturday's yet, but am gutted by how bad that episode was.

Blue and yellow Daleks? WTF?

by barjoker at 11:52 on 26 April 2010
    Caroline, the colourful Daleks are the original 'pure' Daleks as first seen in 1965 movie 'Doctor Who and the Daleks' with Peter Cushing and Roy Castle (yes, from Record Breakers). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks

These are the Daleks that are unable to negotiate steps or rough terrain, who are armed with plungers and puff gas instead of shooting death rays. My son calls them the 'Steam Daleks.' We used to have a life-size blow-up version in the garden which was brilliant.

But I agree, they are more sniggersome than scary...
    by debac at 12:58 on 26 April 2010
    Katerina, it's Amy/Amelia Pond.

I love Matt Smith - I think he's weird and wonderful. Handsome in a quirky way. I even dreamed about him a couple of nights ago!

Deb
    by NMott at 13:15 on 26 April 2010
    I find Matt Smith ugly-handsome, like Martin Clunes.

Excellent episode last Saturday.
    by Jem at 13:45 on 26 April 2010
    He's managed to bag Daisy Lowe, anyway, so he's obviously appealing to some!
    by CarolineSG at 12:55 on 29 April 2010
    I really liked the first part of the weeping angels one, so am feeling much more hopeful...
    by Jem at 19:34 on 29 April 2010
    Saw the Angels from behind a child, lol!
    by Beanie Baby at 13:23 on 30 April 2010
    I think Matt Smith is doing a brilliant job! He really has brought the Doctor into the 21st century and I am loving the fact he has a bit of a temper. David Tennant was great but I think the show needed Matt to keep it at the top of the pile. I say a big Well Done to everyone involved - especially Matt himself!
    Beanie
    by Grinder at 15:08 on 01 May 2010
    For what it’s worth, I think Dr Who is still excellent. I am still a huge fan of David Tennant’s Doctor, but now having seen Mat Smith, I think Tennant played it too straight, he was too normal, too human. I love the fact that Smith doesn’t look quite right, or act quite right – unpredictable almost – he reminds me more of Tom Baker in that respect, I think he’s a great alien among humans.

As for the chief writer, Moffat, I respect him as a writer and exciting storyteller, and he’s miles better than Davis. Don’t get me wrong, I think Davis did a terrific job of bringing The Doctor back, but he was very hit and miss with the storylines, and some things I’ll never forgive him for: what he did with the Master was shameful, once a suave, gentlemanly beardy weirdy reduced to a clean shaven, blond cackling wingnut, and don’t get me started on what he did to the cybermen, giving them flares for goodness sake, more from the YMCA than Telos. I hope Moffat remodels them in his own image, like he seems to be doing with everything else Davis did.

Bring back the real cybermen from Telos!

Anyway, enough of me ranting on, I’m sure I’m beginning to sound very nerdy.

Cheers, Grinder
    by Jem at 18:16 on 01 May 2010
    Grinder, Jem likes this.
    by Account Closed at 20:16 on 01 May 2010
    some things I’ll never forgive him for: what he did with the Master was shameful, once a suave, gentlemanly beardy weirdy reduced to a clean shaven, blond cackling wingnut

Motion carried. John Simms was a dreadful choice for the role. Bring back the Machiavellian evil weevil we all know and love!

JB
    by Jem at 09:58 on 02 May 2010
    The awful thing is that John Simm is such a brilliant actor. I used to teach him you know. When he werra lad.
    by barjoker at 12:02 on 02 May 2010
    We loved John Simm as the Master in our house, perhaps because most of us never saw the original. I am a big fan of insane glee, generally speaking.
    by Grinder at 13:08 on 03 May 2010
    John Simm is such a brilliant actor

Yes, I agree, I have nothing against him.

Cheers, Grinder
    by Grinder at 13:13 on 03 May 2010
    We loved John Simm as the Master in our house, perhaps because most of us never saw the original.

Fair point, the new version of the master was interesting, and fitted with the End of Time plotline – which I thought was good.

Try and catch some of the early stuff – out on DVD – it’s still great, story wise, and you’ll see what we mean by the difference between the Masters. My son just got one of the early Patrick Trouton episodes – can’t recall – (maybe ‘The Invasion’) where some of the old lost footage has been restored with cartoon animation, which I think works really well.

Cheers, Grinder
  • This 88 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4   5   6  > >