Login   Sign Up 

• The Lady and the Revamp
    by Jem at 19:16 on 19 March 2010
    Anyone catch this last night? Hugely entertaining. I must admit to some interest because The Lady took one of my stories and I have had dealings with Arline and Janina, both of whom Rachel Johnson wanted to fire alongside the fiction editor.

I am hugely disappointed that they no longer take unsolicited fiction - not for myself particularly as they pay shit - but for fellow womag writers whose market is shrinking by rapidly. Since last year, as well as The Lady going, My Weekly will only take fiction if you've already been published by them and Australian Women' Weekly (no relation to the UK Woman's Weekly) has also stopped taking fiction too.

It's a bummer.
  • Re: The Lady and the Revamp
    by penpusher at 08:16 on 24 March 2010
    I recorded the prog but haven't watched it yet.

Last summer, Rachel Johnson, having just taken over editorship of The Lady, came to give a talk at our village arts festival.

She was hugely entertaining and emphasised that, as she had four issues a month to fill, she was keen to see lots of submissions.

So - I went home, checked the submission procedures, wrote an article and sent it off. That was on 6 October 2009. Since then, despite the usual sae etc, I have heard nothing. Not even a rejection slip.

Following her talk, I did buy one or two copies to see how the mag was changing and I have to say I was not impressed.

There was actually one short story published, written by a 'well-known' author whose name now escapes me, and I have never read such twaddle in all my life. Something about Lady Somebody's weird houseparty.

All I can say is that I think The Lady has gone well and truly down the pan and I wouldn't bother wasting time submitting to it.

Just my opinion, of course.