Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Watchmen
    by Account Closed at 00:03 on 10 March 2009
    I was going to write a review, but this will suffice. Has anyone seen it yet? I love the graphic novel and the movie certainly captures the noir atmosphere and nuances of the orginal form admirably, even if it doesn't translate the pace so well. It's a big theme and at times it felt like it didn't fit so easily into a movie. Visually, it's stunning, with some great action scenes and good acting, but at times it does drag and sadly becomes a bit bum-numbing in the last half hour where it really does seem to run out of steam. In it's favour, it wasn't remotely watered down (my main worry), parts are pretty graphic (no pun intended), and it stays faithful - maybe a little too faithful for cinema - to the original story.

What worked as an original climax in the graphic novel just struck me as somewhat of an anti-climax on screen, but overall, I'd give it 3/5. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed, as you'd expect more from what was and is such a benchmark novel, but it's entertaining enough.

It is very much a fan movie though. I'm interested to see what people make of it who haven't read the graphic novel. And if you haven't read the graphic novel, where have you been?

JB
  • Re: Watchmen
    by NMott at 00:36 on 10 March 2009
    I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD, but avidly reading all the reviews in the meantime - including one that discussed the size of Dr Manhatten's CGI enhanced blue penis which came out at a no.22, from a range of no.7 to no.27.

The main fault, as you've already alluded to, appears to be a director who is a huge fan of the original graphic novels and has tried to be faithful to them main plot thread, but who probably should have concentrated on what would be suitable for a movie audience, rather than trying to replicate a graphic novel on screen.

Anyway, looking forward to watching it on DVD when it's finally released.

- NaomiM

by J0ul35 at 12:02 on 10 March 2009
    I'm one of those people who have not read the graphic novel. I actually had no idea what the film was going to be about when i went (i wasn't even convinced i wanted to go - Boyfriend was just so excited). However, i really enjoyed it!! For such a long film i didn't feel the time go by. I would highly recommend people go and see this, even if this is in a genre that they might not love.

by Account Closed at 13:33 on 10 March 2009
    Don't mention the CGI enhanced blue penis!!!

I've read mixed reviews, and friends who've seen it have ranged between 'meh' to 'wow'. It is a good film, assuredly. But it should have been excellent, like the graphic novel. That's my only gripe, but I'm not trying to put people off. And for those interested in such things, there is plenty of CGI enhanced blue penis to keep them entertained, if nothing else.

JB
    by NMott at 14:42 on 10 March 2009
    Does it deserve it's 18 certificate? I know some 15yr olds who'd like to watch it and i'm wondering if it's the full frontal that has pushed it from 15 to an 18, or is it full of graphic sex and violence? (no pun intended).
    by Account Closed at 15:16 on 10 March 2009
    I don't think the odd blue willy would quite be enough? Apart from some heavy themes, there is some very gruesome violence and a rather steamy sex scene too, which I think deserved the rating.

JB
    by Kristian at 22:28 on 11 March 2009
    Looking forward to this, in fact I'm re-reading the novel at the moment, and really enjoying it - I love the sections at the end of each chapter, which I seem to remember not liking at all when I first read it a few years back.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is Snyder's direction, does he over do the slow mo fighting thing? which I felt kinda spoiled 300 in the end...

Kris