Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Red Riding
    by Account Closed at 23:26 on 05 March 2009
    Wow - brilliant! I'm a bit shocked and a bit awed and totally impressed.
  • Re: Red Riding
    by Colin-M at 12:41 on 06 March 2009
    I got totally bored. Maybe I was tired. Managed about an hour and gave up.

Don't you think that now, when people make seventies dramas, they go over the top with the smoking. Almost every person in the first few scenes had a fag in hand. I know they want the smokey atmosphere, and lots of people did smoke - but not everyone!

I also hate seeing actors who don't smoke try to act-smoke. It looks silly.
    by Account Closed at 12:46 on 06 March 2009
    Oh, I quite like a bit of smoking - I don't smoke but I think it adds a certain something! Actually, in cold of light of day, I think the plot was lacking - and some things were glossed over - such as how did that woman feel about her husband committing suicide and why did he do it, when he didn't kill the child? She never mentioned him. And the actual murders were not really explained - we knew who, but not really why and the horrible wings thing was never really fully explained - except for a liking for a stuffed swan in the house - but why - so the next day, though I enjoyed it very much and was hooked in completely ... I can see too many flaws today.

<Added>

Plus - and this is so sexist, but I'm going to be honest, the lead actor was so cute - I could have watched him in anything!
    by Jem at 17:48 on 06 March 2009
    Have this recorded - wasn't in the mood last night as I knew it'd be a bit stressful. Plus Thursday is ER and Skins night!

I love a bit of smoking - in Mad Men they do it beautifully. There was also the marvellous Goodnight and Good Luck with Mr Clooney and the hilarious "Thank You For SMoking".

My husband rated this so I think I'll probably like it if I can bring myself to watch it.
    by CarolineSG at 20:42 on 06 March 2009
    if I can bring myself to watch it.

That just about sums up my attitude too! Except I know I am too wimpy.
    The Guardian has been combusting with delight about this programme all week.I think what persuaded me it wasn't for me was one line in the review of, I think, the second one, which went something like, '...for all its brilliance, it is incredibly hard to stomach.In one scene you see a close up of an electric drill going into a woman's arm'...and I just thought 'nope, too much.'
    Without sounding all Mary Whitehouse, I do wish that some of this brilliantly written drama didn;t have to be so violent. And it's always violence to women and children.
    Oh dear... I do sound like MW.
    But there are no drills into flesh in Mad Men...hurrah!
    by Colin-M at 22:20 on 06 March 2009
    Plus - and this is so sexist, but I'm going to be honest, the lead actor was so cute - I could have watched him in anything!

He had a very "Malcolm MacDowell" look to him - thinking particularly of Oh Lucky Man, but Clockwork Orange too. Both seventies movies.
    by Account Closed at 19:52 on 12 March 2009
    Second one tonight - am just going to put on record in case I miss.

by Jem at 20:56 on 12 March 2009
    Me too - I want to watch so many things tonight!
    by Cornelia at 19:12 on 15 March 2009
    Saw a long trailer for this in the cinema yesterday - impressive cast and I'm sorry I've missed the first two episodes. I hope I can catch the final one. A bit of arm-drilling doesn't bother me too much.

Sheila