Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Five live books show
    by CarolineSG at 14:58 on 04 November 2008
    Does anyone listen to this? Am not a 5L listener generally, but recently subscribed to it as a poddie. Just heard a corking one, featuring Kathy Reichs and Kate Atkinson.
    They have the writers in the studio with other guests (Stella Duffy was one of them) giving an opinion on their book and, wow, they don't hold back! Everyone hated the Reichs one and it was quite bizarre hearing a multi-million selling author being told they'd written crap dialogue. I felt quite sorry for her, but was a good reminder of how a lot comes down to personal taste.
  • Re: Five live books show
    by Jem at 15:39 on 04 November 2008
    When's that on, Caroline? I'm not a 5 listener either, except for Mark Kermode on Friday afternoon when he does his Film review on someone else's show.
    by Account Closed at 16:18 on 04 November 2008
    Yes, always listen and I've picked up some great books to read from there - I love the way they are HONEST and if they don't like something they say.

It's Thursday afternoons Jem. It's very good, intelligent and lively without being so ponderous and pompous and up it's own **** as so many programmes on Radio 4 are these days. Not all - I know some are great - but so often I have to scream or switch off. And they go at much too slow a pace for me.
    Sarah
    by Jem at 19:31 on 04 November 2008
    I think I'm a die hard Radio 4 listener, but I'll definitely give it a go.
    by CarolineSG at 20:09 on 04 November 2008
    Well I'm a bit diehard on Radio4 too(although sometimes listen to XFM if I'm pretending to be young and have a yearning for a radio station with music ). But this programme really was cracking.

Only thing I can't stand on R4 (apart from awful plays with people like Martin Jarvis...sorry, but there is a certain genre of ghastly comedy/play they often have on in the mornings with very posh people wittering on) is when they have a major new series and they have that woman with the really sennnnnnsuous voice speaking reaaaallly slooooowly. Makes me want to gnash my teeth and throw the radio at the wall.