Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 59 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4  > >  
  • Re: Que?
    by NMott at 14:22 on 29 October 2008
    I complained Kristian because, should I ever be famous :b and thus a potential target of presenters like Ross & Brand, I would not like it ever happening to me - or to anyone, tbh. Those two needed to be hauled over the coals to show other presenters that, as far as a significant minority of the listerning public is concerned, it was a stunt too far.

Last time I watched Ross's BBC show it was the time he interviewed Jimmy Carr, and cringed at the look of horror and confusion on Jimmy Carr's face as he was literally stripped of his dignity. There was nothing Carr could do as Ross proceeded to muss up his hair, undo his shirt, take off his shoes & socks...etc. He couldn't just walk off as he would then be mocked as the comedian who can't take a joke.
    As for Ross's interview style, it consists of him interupting his guests to tell humorous anecdotes about himself and his wife.
    The Beeb shou have let him go to ITV/C4, his humour is more their style.
    by Kristian at 15:10 on 29 October 2008
    I do see what you mean, and although I have mentioned that I am a fan, (of Ross at least) I do agree that it was a stunt too far, and that some form of stance needed to be taken by the beeb, which it now has.

With regard to the uproar/complaints, I think that some people, not all, who already dislike the pair see this as their opportunity to stick the boot in, and more fool Ross and Brand, I guess, for giving them the ammunition to do so...

Still, if Ross does get the sack, I'm sure this incident won't do his book sales any harm, its title 'why do I say these things?' is more prescient than ever now.

Kris

by NMott at 16:31 on 29 October 2008
    You're right, Kristian, it's never wise to give your enemies an excuse to take you down.
    I used to like Ross - he can be very funny - but ever since his agent won him that huge contract it went to his head. He became like Chris Evans (in the months leading up to Evans being sacked), thinking it gave him a mandate to do what he liked.
    Reading one of today's articles about Ross's Agent, it wasn't so much Ross's talent that won him the contract, but the Beeb's fear of his Agent and her large and influential stable of performers. They couldn't risk her taking them elsewhere. However, now that ITV and C4 are suffering in the credit crunch from a drop in advertising revenue, presenters like Ross are going to find it very hard to command the big bucks from now on. Apparently Carol Vordermen was only offered 10% of her previous £1m contract to stay at Countdown, which was why she walked off the show.
    All in all, definitely a wake up call to fellow performers.

- NaomiM
    by amiria at 17:11 on 29 October 2008
    On the 'net' his afternoon they said that on the day of actual broadcast only 2 people phoned up to complain. Then the press got hold of it, via the granddaugher (sorry can't remember her name) and everyone got on the bandwagon. I'm really suprised at, JR, I thought his humour was a bit more sophisticated. I bet they're 'cacking it' now. ALthough, I suspect, this will only serve to help their careers! I agree with, Jem. I think it's the BBC who are really being bought to task, rather than RB and JR.
    by Account Closed at 17:21 on 29 October 2008
    I think it's helping the girl's career too ! Take a look at today's Sunonline. Take a look at what she's wearing. Mmmm. Think we've all been played on this one. I refuse to indulge in other people's vulgar attempts of self promotion. I do feel for Andrew Sachs but no-one else.

As to Russell Brand - who would risk that dipstick after where it's been! Very seedy and dirty - and not in a good way. Not like Robert Downey Junior!!! See lounge.
    by NMott at 19:02 on 29 October 2008
    Latest: 27,000 complaints and Brand has resigned.
    "Gross lapse of taste" says the Beeb.
    by Jem at 19:09 on 29 October 2008
    Well I think it's ridiculous. I adore Russell Brand and Jonathon Ross is very funny too. SO I guess I'm on me own on this one.
    by amiria at 19:58 on 29 October 2008
    I think it's helping the girl's career too !

No kidding! She raced to the Sun, ( rather than the BBC) to complain about her privacy being invaded and then told them she'd shagged RB?! Bet he loves her now! However, this can only be good promotion for her burlesque dancing group, ' The Satanic Sluts.' Mmmm, classy.

by NMott at 20:28 on 29 October 2008
    Someone on another forum has suggested they make Ross present Songs of Praise for a season.
    Seems a fitting punishment.
    by susieangela at 20:30 on 29 October 2008
    'Specially for the worshippers.
    Susiex
    by CarolineSG at 20:55 on 29 October 2008
    SO I guess I'm on me own on this one.

Now, Jem, you know you're not allowed to disagree with me. Haven't you read your contract properly?
    by amiria at 21:03 on 29 October 2008
    Jem, I thought what they did was childish, but the media witch hunt that has followed is crazy. I like JR, don't really know much about RB. I'd be very interested to know how many people that have officially complained, actually heard the show on the day of broadcast.
    by Kristian at 21:56 on 29 October 2008
    That's interesting what you say about his agent NaomiM, kind of makes sense as he seemed to go from a had his day presenter, to being almost everywhere over night...

The situation seems to have got to the point where it will be difficult for him to return - every word he utters from now on will be under such scrutiny...

It's a shame, I'll miss his radio show if he does go..

Not condoning what he has done, I agree with SB the only person I feel sorry for is Andrew Sachs...
    by susieangela at 22:00 on 29 October 2008
    I see he has a new TV show tomorrow night on Channel 4...
    Susiex
    by NMott at 22:05 on 29 October 2008
    I'd be very interested to know how many people that have officially complained, actually heard the show on the day of broadcast.

Does it really matter that the vast majority who complained were not regular listeners to the programme?
    I wouldn't like our local FM Radio presenter to think he could start making crank calls to local residents, if Ross and Brand got away with doing it on Radio 2.
    Having been on the recieving end of crank calls on the answerphone, I can assure you they are horrible.

- NaomiM

<Added>

I mean, the feeling is horrible, regardless of the fact you know it's just some kids messing around.
  • This 59 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4  > >