Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Summer Heights High
    by Jem at 14:20 on 03 August 2008
    Anyone into this? Watched three back to back last night when they did the rerun of the whole series which I must admit passed me by completely. Spending the day catching up on the rest On Demand between reading the papers. Absolutely loving it!
  • Re: Summer Heights High
    by Myrtle at 22:19 on 03 August 2008
    Yes!! Absolutely loved it last year. Even cried in the last one - amazing how that man can be so hilarious and, after a few episodes, so convincing. Have you seen the first one, We Can Be Heroes?
    by Jem at 09:04 on 04 August 2008
    I don't know if that one ever got to the UK, did it? Probably could get it on DVD though. Chris Illey is such a genius, isn't he? I love the intro with the little boy running and throwing his bag up onto the top of his locker. Why does it bring a lump to my throat? Is it the exuberance of youth and then the cheesy theme tune that accompanies it? Still have two or three left to watch so am savouring the moment.
    by Myrtle at 09:10 on 04 August 2008
    Oddly enough I found a copy of WCBH in an Oxfam in London last year and gave it to someone for Xmas. But I'm sure you could get it online - definitely worth it. I am watching it for a second time now as it's on Aussie tv - the only decent thing that's on, really, apart from House.

Ooh enjoy the rest of SHH! Come back when you've watched the last episode - I want to know if you blub!
    by Jem at 16:50 on 05 August 2008
    Hi, Emily, am back to report I finished watching the series today and now am feeling a bit flat. Jonah was my favourite character and the one I really felt I'd met at some time or other in my life, though I've never met a Polynesian boy! There was some great acting from other cast members and I think the scene where you blubbed must have been Jonah reading to the remedial English teacher who was brilliantly played, as was the other (bitch) of an English teacher.

I've never been to Australia and until I saw this had a typical Pom view of it being a very macho country. My view of it through Chris Illey's satire is that it's become a very feminised society and is even more PC than the UK, masking real problems in society.

It didn't make me blub as much as it may have done if I hadn't been following this programme on Channel 4, in which a brilliant teacher helps adults in the UK to read and write.

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/R/reading/programmes/index.html

I'm afraid I can't watch it again because Channel 4's Listen Again facility doesn't work for Macs, but if you can get it I urge to watch it. It's inspirational - tragic, funny and extremely affecting.

My son says that the Beeb are trying to get We Can Be Heroes so fingers crossed.
    What do I do now my two favourite programmes have finished? Oh, I could write something, I guess.

by Myrtle at 10:07 on 06 August 2008
    Oh I know that feeling so well - coming to the end of a blinding series and then wondering what the hell to do with your life! We are always ridiculous about programmes we like and stay up late watching the entire series in one go, and then feel totally bereft and wish we had dragged them out a bit.

But yes, the final scenes with Jonah (I think the bit with him being dragged out was just awful) were amazing...and I can't remember where I forgot that Chris Illey was playing all the parts but I did. When we first found out that there was a big comedy character called Jonah in one of Illey's shows we were horrified because we'd just named our son Jonah! But he turned out to be so lovely in his effed-up way *sniff*!

I do hope you get to see We Can Be Heroes soon...you will love the woman who rolls to Ulleroo.

Another Aussie one you might like is Grassroots. Not as openly funny, but a fantastic take on local politics with great characters. There are two series - we recently finished watching the second and I'm still in mourning.

Sadly I won't be able to watch that link because I'm on a mac, too. And sometimes you can't see clips from the UK over here anyway - I tried to watch clips of The Apprentice on the bbc site and it wouldn't let me.