Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Mamma Mia
    by Jem at 20:11 on 19 July 2008
    Just went to see this. Where do I start?! Crap story - given. Piers Brosnan was so bad people guffawed when he burst into song - and that is the first time ever I've used the word 'guffawed'. Meryl Streep, however, actually managed to inject a daft story with credibility. That woman is something else. Julie Walters did her Julie Walters schtick and is always watchable. Colin Firth WAS Colin Firth. Embarrassed and uncomfortable at having to act the part of a gay man and totally unconvincing, but when has he been anything else?

I loved the ending and I loved the songs and the clothes and am glad I saw it because it did make me laugh out loud in a few places. I also forgot how good Abba were till I heard their songs again!

anyone else seen it?
  • Re: Mamma Mia
    by CarolineSG at 11:19 on 21 July 2008
    I've been in such a dilemma about seeing this, Jem, and I think I probably won't now! I love Abba but loathe musicals of any kind (even the ones everyone in the entire universe loves, like Moulin Rouge). I also become bizarrely embarrassed at seeing people singing when it's not their usual thing. The very thought of Colin Firth singing (who I have a very cliched crush on, Mr Darcy, white shirt, blah blah) is actually making me go a bit prickly now and not in a good way!
    by Jem at 12:10 on 21 July 2008
    Oh, I'd go. Caroline - just so you can have an opinion. And also for Meryl Streep, who is inspirational to many women, myself included!
    by CarolineSG at 12:41 on 21 July 2008
    Why would I need an opinion, when I have yours?

by Jem at 13:17 on 21 July 2008
    by Account Closed at 13:18 on 21 July 2008
    I'm going next week and can't wait - but then i was brought up on musicals. *Snigger* - have you seen, Enchanted, Caroline where the prince keeps bursting into song in NYC!!

I adore musicals as long as the plot is obvious - the one film i have never enjoyed is American In Paris - too obscure for me (that's the one with Gene Kelly, isn't it, lots of different dancing scenes and not much talking?)
    by CarolineSG at 13:24 on 21 July 2008
    Ah, now you see I quite like those sort of musicals...old Hollywood ones. It's when people like Ewan McGregor start singing that I start shuddering. It's just not right!
    by Jem at 16:09 on 21 July 2008
    I LOVE anything with Gene Kelly in it. The man was a genius!
    by Cornelia at 19:32 on 21 July 2008
    I keep hearing people talking on the train about MM, giving conflicting views so I was dithering. However, I think I'll go tonight as it's on locally at 8.30pm. I like musicals, having been brought up on them, too. Gene Kelly - now you're talking about a man who had what it takes.

Sheila
    by Jem at 20:21 on 21 July 2008
    Sometimes I cry when I watch him dance. Ditto Fred Astaire.
    by Cornelia at 11:54 on 22 July 2008
    I wouldn't go that far, but he Gene was a fair hoofer.

Just wanted to add that 'Mamma Mia' is one to be avoided. Well, no - there were things to enjoy, such as the scenery and Meryl Streep's acting (she has the same facial structure as Vanessa Redgrave) and the choreography was excellent - exhilarating, even.

I knew the story wouldn't be up to much - I've seen the trailer lots of times, but I didn't realise they'd try to disguise the holes on the plot by going at such a frenetic pace. Even so, they couldn't fit all the songs in and had to have 'Waterloo' and one or two others over the end titles.

No, a proper musical has songs that are integrated into the plot, as in 'Cabaret' and Calamity Jane', and 'Chicago'. It was far too obvious this story was fabricated to fit the songs. It made for some nonsensical sections - such as 'It's a rich man's world', for instance, where Meryl is parading around saying she could live better with more cash, and there she is employing a whole army of down-trodden locals, an irony which is briefly acknowledged at the end of the song when the women turn from their veg peeling to give reproachful looks

Listening to the songs all together like that made me think that Abba has acquired this retro-aura they never possessed in the 70s, when the pop music scene in England was so strong. Then they were just some squeaky clean Scandinavian group in tight glittery costumes whose bland tunes won Eurovision song contests. That was held in about as much contempt as it is now - we used to send Cliff Richards and Sandie Shaw, and that Irish girl who sang 'Those were the Days'. The shallowmess and cynicism of the Abba numbers was unfortunately made all to obvious in this movie.

So you've had no dad for twenty years but you've been raised by your wonderful mom, and then you read in an an old diary that your mum slept with three different men around the time of your conception? Well, Yay! You just ask them to the wedding and you'll 'know' which one's your father!

All that shouting and jumping up and down when the women reunited with old pals reminded me of 'Big Brother'

As for the men - I'm tempted to say no more, but I will. Did you notice that Colin Firth had a passport photo like a younger, friendlier Mr Darcy but in the flesh was more like Joss Sedley? I thought actors were supposed to go on diets for big parts. The Australian cut-out seemed there for no reason except to make up the numbers and captain the boat, also an excuse for the cringeworthy 'Take a Chance on Me' when poor Julie Walters had to hang onto his trousers while he was suspended from the roof. She's lost all my respect.

There was quite a good audience at West India Quay considering it was Monday night and the DLR wasn't working properly. It was obvious, though, they were getting restless, laughing in disbelief at Pierce Brosnan's strangled attempts st singing and wooden acting, and with even more incredulity when a romantic coast-path meeting was cut short by Meryl breaking out into 'The Winner takes it all'.

On second thoughts, I think people should go along for the laughs.It defines by contrast what makes a good musical.

Sheila

by Jem at 12:34 on 22 July 2008
    Sheila - there are some things that are best left unanalysed. This film is one of them, I feel.
    by Rainstop at 23:08 on 09 April 2009
    Finally watched it and had a wonderful night. Magical.