Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Half Moon Street
    by Cornelia at 09:13 on 11 July 2008
    Still trawling through the fourteen Michael Caine DVds recently given away with the Daily Mail, mostly straight B movie no-stars-in-Hallwell specimens, I was struck by how even as implausible a plot as one requring Sigourney Weaver to be a visiting professor turning call-girl to pay her London rent has its attractions. There are the London locations for a start - the film begins with a sequence of her jogging through the streets around Ladbrooke Grove - and I suppose for the men the sight of her half naked in the bath. Allowing her Jamaican landlord in to repair the shower with duck tape whilst she's still in there stretches belief, though, as does her later trip with him to the dog-track. I suppose it must be the Catford one as Michael Caine tells her his father took him there as a boy in South London. Mostly, though, there's Caine himself as the bemused diplomat jeopardising his security amd giving bodyguards the slip to spend time with her. One again he seems to do nothing except be a rheumy-eyed presence and onlooker.

I suppose he's best known for the worldly-wise cynicism and distinctive voice of Alfie, but it's these half-there roles he seems to excel in. This was a much more engaging film than 'The Romantic Englishwoman' in which he starred with Glenda Jackson. Maybe she was just too languid in that to produce sufficent sparks. Admiring Sigourney's thick hair, I couldn't help thinking of her contrasting bad head in the Alien series.

Sheila

<Added>

bald head !!
  • Re: Half Moon Street
    by Jem at 13:56 on 11 July 2008
    Amazed that you can do this, Sheila! I'd rather chew my own arm off than watch 14 MC dvd's.

<Added>

Should say, if it's not obvious, I've never really got Michael Caine.
    by Cornelia at 16:10 on 11 July 2008
    Sorry to hear that, Jem. I was trying to think of film stars I can't stand, and so far I've come up with Richrd Dreyfuss, although I liked 'Jaws' and I think he was in that. I think he played a psychiatrist in another film I liked though, called 'What about Harry?' with Bill Murray as a patient who stalked him to his summer lake retreat. They were both funny in that.Robin Williams I don't 'get' but he annoys a lot of of people besides me. I thought he was quite funny as 'Mrs Doubtfire'.

I was looking forward to 'Mamma Mia' until I just read a review. I've seen the trailer about ten times and it looks pretty dire, but I was hoping it might be better.

Sheila
    by Jem at 16:36 on 11 July 2008
    Oh, no! Is it crap? I thought I might like to see this too! There's so many actors I can't stand, actually. But top of my list by a long way is Robin Williams. Then Tom Cruse. But I think that's because he's a nutter and a short arse.

<Added>

Mark Kermode's review of Mama Mia has persuaded me to go and see it. Basically, everything about it's crap but the songs are so excellent that they make the movie a must see. And if Mark says that it's a must, then I'm going!
    by Cornelia at 19:44 on 11 July 2008
    Mark writes approvingly of a double-bill choice in this month's Sight & Sound - well known critics were asked to name the dream doubles they'd seen. His was 'The Wicker Man' followed by 'Don't look Now'. I couldn't see the point of the former, except it was a laugh with all those retro outfits, but I agree about Donald Sutherland chasing that red hooded dwarf round Venice.

Another actor I find hard to take seriously is Frank Sinatra. My partner has been watching 'Pal Joey' at lunchtime this week. Puny Frank in a sleazy night-club is hovering between floozie Rita Hayworth and cool Kim Novak whne eigher one looks as if they'd make mince-meat of him. Rita gets him in to bed because she's a rich widow but you can tell it's Kim that will win the prize - if you could call him that.

Sheila
    by Jem at 23:11 on 11 July 2008
    Agree with all you've said, Sheila- no to the Wicker Man and FS. 'Don't Look Now' one of my top ten desert island films. The last frame!
    by CarolineSG at 19:26 on 13 July 2008
    Oh Jem....it's getting downright spooky now. I also don't get MC and also love Don't Look Now.
    Will you marry me?
    by Jem at 10:19 on 14 July 2008

What names do you like for babies?
    by CarolineSG at 11:08 on 14 July 2008
    Hmm....there are twins on your side, so perhaps not...

by Jem at 11:29 on 14 July 2008