Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Where do I view new writing - with a view to offering feedback?
    by bewleybooks at 14:52 on 29 August 2015

Hi there,

I've trawled around this site no end of times and find it terribly difficult to get to a link that says 'new work' ... I'd like to read new author's work with a view to offering feedback, but I cannot seem to find links that are other than those already published or loaded on to Amazon.

Any feedback on instructions?  Step-by-step preferable.

Thank you.

Kaye

Edited by bewleybooks at 14:49:00 on 29 August 2015
  • Re: Where do I view new writing - with a view to offering feedback?
    by Bazz at 16:27 on 29 August 2015
    Hi Kaye, the site's a bit quiet at the moment, hopefully it'll pick up after the school holidays. Stories are uploaded to the groups, stories not in the groups are in your own archive. Just click on a group of your choice to find the latest work. Unfortunately the short story group is a bit dead, but flash fiction, the childrens group and the women's magazines group are all going strong :)

Also, if you click on "words" you'll find all the latest work listed on the right column. :)

Edited by Bazz at 16:24:00 on 29 August 2015
    by bewleybooks at 16:42 on 29 August 2015
    Hi,
    I've tried to join a couple of groups - but after clicking on three and being told I'm only a 'part-member' (I am a full member), and also being informed that other groups are 'full', I've kind of given up.
    Also, where in my archive are other author's stories?
    Wouldn't it be easier if we could have a prominent 'link' on the bar at the top for stories waiting for feedback?  I'd be keen to give it, if only I could get to them easily.
    Thanks for any help.
    Kaye
    by bewleybooks at 16:46 on 29 August 2015
    Also, sorry to be a pain, but I've not found a group for women's magazines.  And when I look at the 'members work' that list of such small font is a strain on the eyes.  It could be divided further into categories, rather than two lists of recent comments or recently added.  I find I have to wade myself through the list to find anything that I'm interested in.  Which is fictional novels (not poetry and not children's).  Would be grateful for any help you're able to offer.
    Again, sorry for the negativity.
    Kaye
    by bewleybooks at 16:55 on 29 August 2015
    I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it now.  Sorry, but it does take a bit of getting used to.  I've been flitting about this site, now I think I'm getting the hang of it.
    Do you think this is why the writewords future is hanging in the balance.  I have a lot of patience and persistence, and I keep picking at things until they reveal themselves to me, but some won't/don't/can't do that.  So, if things aren't obvious to them, they might just turn away.
    I'm off to choose some fiction to give some hearty feedback to. 
    If this has been a little too harsh, I apologise. 
    Thanks
    Kaye
    by Bazz at 16:55 on 29 August 2015
    Hi, I've changed the setting for the Flash fiction group (i'm the group host), don't know how it got full, it wasn't last time i checked, but you are a member now, same with the women's fiction group (not called women's magazines, my mistake!) 

I don't know why it would say you're a part time member if you're not, you might have to ask someone who works for the site, (like David Bruce).

You can only upload one story to a group at a time, after this all of your work goes into your own personal archive, meaning people can acces your work through your profile, but not through the groups.

I don't think there are any sub categories, as such. I agree that the font is very small, again, you'd have to mention it to someone who works for the site.

Hope some of this helps :)

by Bazz at 16:57 on 29 August 2015

If this has been a little too harsh, I apologise. 

Not at all :) The site does take gettign used to, I always wonder why they don't set up a page for new people, telling them how to do what, where to find what, would be useful... :)
    by Jennifer1976 at 17:28 on 29 August 2015
    Hi Kaye,

Just wanted to say that the Intensive Critique group is also still active, though we've been a tad quiet of late. You're more than welcome to join us, when the technical issue's been sorted. Fast First Draft is also still active, though it's not a critique group, more a kind of support group where we share everyday kind of stuff about our writing lives.

All the best,

Jenny
    by bewleybooks at 17:46 on 29 August 2015
    I'll try to join again.
    Thanks
    Kaye
    by TassieDevil at 19:42 on 29 August 2015
    Frustrating times, Kaye,
    The women's fiction group is meant to be for all women's fiction but my own personal genre is women's magazines. If that's of interest, have a read of of the forum articles in WF as they cover Womags a lot. The easiest way of seeing if a story needs critiquing is to check out the most recently uploaded ones - the dates are on the group home page next to the title. I think I noticed you commented on some old work by people who might not be active at the moment. See who's active, see if they have a recent posted story and comment on theirs. Your efforts will be more appreciated. Don't worry if there are other comments. Most members appreciate whatever constructive comments you care to make. Finally you're doing the right thing by asking. We're here to help, Bazz, Jen and myself. If you wish you can send private emails. Click on my name and you'll see my page then send a private email to me.
    When I first joined I commented on one of James Graham's poems 11 years after it was posted here. Sadly not a lot of use to James. We learn by our mistakes.
    you are showing as a full member to me.
    Hope this helps,
    Alan
    Ps New work show up in the Words section under Recently Added. Not sure if Bazz mentioned this already.

Edited by TassieDevil at 19:41:00 on 29 August 2015