Login   Sign Up 

This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • hello I`m new
    by Jaytee Conner at 14:34 on 13 May 2013
    I've been lurking as a guest for a while but have just paid up the full membership, so here I am.

I'm in the middle of the 2nd draft of my 4th novel.
    I write women's contemporary fiction and am a huge admirer of Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl, anything by Maggie O'Farrell, or Hilary Mantel.

I'm a TV Series Producer/Director and I've been writing for years mainly proposals, shooting scripts, commentary scripts. I've got years of bashing away in edit suites pulling progammes together so I'm no stranger to the re-edit or getting pages of notes/requests/demands from executives and anybody else up the broadcasting chain who wants to stick their oar in.

Novel writing feels very quiet and calm in comparison.

I will upload elements of my 2nd novel The Space Between when I get a moment. It's gone through a 2nd draft but is a bit of a Moby Dick book (not long) but tough to wrangle. I foresee many more re-drafts before I get it right.

So that's me.
    Best
    Jaytee
  • Re: hello I`m new
    by EmmaD at 15:16 on 13 May 2013
    Hi Jaytee, and welcome to WW

Sounds like you've got some fantastic experience there - although, yes, novels are a different kettle of fish, I guess. Very much flying solo...

If you're a Mantel fan, you'll find friends (and - um - less friends?) on WW. And if you get stuck, just post a cry for help in the forum.

Emma
    by Jaytee Conner at 15:31 on 13 May 2013
    Thanks Emma

Your website has been very helpful to me. Over there I've been bravely using my real name Annette but lately getting a bit panicky about identity theft etc.

Yes TV writing is very different but I'm really enjoying the transition to novels though have to resist the urge to share unfinished work which is normal in telly but proving to be very counter productive with books.
    by Account Closed at 19:45 on 13 May 2013
    Hi

I saw your comment on the other thread and, yes, WriteWords is a good place. The vast majority of the feedback is constructive and considered. Certainly the members are fantastic. I've had amazing help, information and advice here.

by Jem at 19:53 on 13 May 2013
    Welcome Jaytee,

How exciting to be a TV Series Producer/Director. I expect everyone on here (including me) would love their stuff on the telly!
    by Jaytee Conner at 19:58 on 13 May 2013
    Sadly I work in factual entertainment and lifestyle formats when I'm working, not drama. Being a freelancer I'm more often not working than working so have plenty of time to write.

I feel very welcome here. It certainly seems a much more useful friendly place to be.
    by Jennifer1976 at 20:52 on 13 May 2013
    Welcome! WW is such a supportive community and what I've learned has been invaluable. I hope you get as much out of the site as I do.

Jenny
    by Pen and Ink at 21:03 on 13 May 2013
    Hi again and welcome. This site is great!
    by EmmaD at 21:11 on 13 May 2013
    Over there I've been bravely using my real name Annette but lately getting a bit panicky about identity theft etc.

Hi Annette! *waves*

I feel a bit like Wallace in the Wrong Trousers when the Penguin takes the rubber glove disguise off his head: 'Oh, it's YOU!"
    by Jaytee Conner at 22:05 on 13 May 2013
    yes I'm a hopeless penguin. That rubber glove is so sweaty to wear.
    by Jaytee Conner at 09:34 on 15 May 2013
    Hi everyone

Well I finally got around to uploading the opening section of chapter 1 of THE SPACE BETWEEN which is novel no. 2. I'm not currently working on it much at the moment.

I'm re-writing my 4th novel which is the one I feel has the most potential to be published at this point. Keeping that book very much to myself at the moment.

I'll go back to The Space Between when I break off from no. 4.
    Any comments on it would be much appreciated.
    by SandraD at 10:10 on 15 May 2013
    Hi Jaytee, I was new in March, uploaded the first fourteen chapters of the third draft of my novel in the 'whole MS read-write swap' group and had an amazing amount of really helpful comment from no fewer than five folk. Since when I've been too busy head down re-writing to explore much further... but the vibes here are definitely warm.
    by Jaytee Conner at 10:22 on 15 May 2013
    Hi Sandra D
    Thanks for the suggestion I'll take a look.

I've put it up like that for the moment because the thing I'm really working on needs another 3 months of privacy before I'll be ready to unleash it on the world.

I'm at the stage where I know it needs a lot of fixing, I know what I need to do to fix it and just need to get my head down.
    I foresee in a couple of months that I will be exhausted with it and won't be able to see what's right or wrong anymore and at that stage I will upload the 4th novel for comments. I'm also going to get a professional crit done, expensive but I think likely to be worth the money.

Over on Authonomy I've had comments on Space Between many really useful but a lot of skim reading that wasn't helpful because I was taking their comments seriously until I realised that the stuff they felt wasn't right or there, was actually, it's just they had skim read.

This critique lark is a learning curve in itself.
    JC
    by Rantmuse at 09:18 on 17 May 2013
    Hey Jaytee,
    Welcome.
    I've been a bit of a shadowy figure myself on here. Its a lovely place to be. Very welcoming and super helpful.
    We are waiting for another member to make the screenwriting group go live, I wondered if you were interested? It would be very helpful to have someone as experienced as you in the group, however I know that your here for relief from the day job! So it might not be your bag.
    I've just back from a 3 week break myself so lots of other folks work to catch up on. Very much looking forward to reading your work.
    Enjoy!
    Bonnie

by Jaytee Conner at 09:46 on 17 May 2013
    Hi there
    I'd be very happy to join the screenwriter's group.
    I started out writing screenplays, not for payment I might add.
    My TV experience is very much confined to factual entertainment and lifestyle formats, not drama. But I have spent a mini-lifetime writing commentary, matching it up to visuals and sync (actuality).
    i might be able to throw some perspective on things but I'm no expert screenwriter.
    I'd love to do some screen writing. One of the struggles I have with my novel writing is remembering to write description & internal monologue because in my day job you don't need those.
    I'll take a look and sign up.

Best
    Jaytee
  • This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >