Login   Sign Up 

• Cautiously Stepping In
    by Maxalex at 16:47 on 09 October 2012
    Hello girls and guys,

I'm not really sure what I'm doing here. I've only recently decided to turn my hand to writing. I started a course a few months ago and am loving it. I have a couple of book ideas and as part of my course I am writing a lot of short stories.

The ultimate goal is to be a children's writer (MG & YA), but my subconscious keeps telling me "I like singing in the shower, but that doesn't make me a popstar!"

I don't know if I'm being silly trying to do this. I'm confident that everyone around me thinks I'm mad!

Anyway, I have a trial membership with WW in order to see if it's a useful tool. If it proves helpful, I will purchase a full membership. What do you guys think? Has it helped you?

Thanks for your time,
    Pretty Ponies
  • Re: Cautiously Stepping In
    by EmmaD at 18:52 on 09 October 2012
    Hello Maxalex, and welcome to WW

There are lots of MG and YA writers on here, so you're in good company.

The best way to get involved is to join a group - as a trial member you can join one, and upload a piece of work, and of course get involved in reading and responding to other people's work.

And if you get stuck, just shout!

Emma
    by GaiusCoffey at 22:31 on 09 October 2012
    Welcome!
    Has it helped you?

Absolutely and, as Emma says, you'll get most out of it by putting most into it.

Take a look on the groups page - some are more lively than others, I got most technical stuff out of Intensive Critique group, but the Flash Fiction group is also a lot of fun and has weekly(-ish) flash contests (from which I've had a couple accepted by www.everydayfiction.com ). The commercial short story groups are also good if you want to sell anything you've written - some refreshingly frank comments, all very useful.

From the point-of-view of etiquette, we work on the principle of reciprocal critting - you will get more people willing to crit your work if you actively comment in return. This is formally stated for Intensive Critique which I think is one of the reasons it works so well. It applies everywhere, though, so don't be shy.

When you're a full member, it's easy to chop and change, too. I'm not certain that the joining e-mail form is ever read by anyone, so I tend to join when I have a need and keep going until that need has passed.

It can sometimes appear a tad quiet, but there is a lot of high-quality advice here for the asking and I think I've always had valuable, expert answers to anything I've needed to know.
    G
    by billy p at 12:11 on 10 October 2012
    Hello Maxalex, and welcome!

I joined, like yourself, on a trial basis and uploaded a piece for some feedback. The advice was great. I did a quick edit and, within a week, I'd joined as a full member and re-submitted the work. As you've been told, the more you put in, the more you get out.
    Good luck!
    by AlanH at 12:24 on 10 October 2012
    I have a trial membership with WW in order to see if it's a useful tool. If it proves helpful, I will purchase a full membership. What do you guys think? Has it helped you?

I did this, but after a few days I'd seen enough to convince me. Best money I've spent in ages. Go for it, I say.
    by CarolineSG at 12:45 on 10 October 2012
    Welcome Maxalex!

It's a very friendly site and there can be some great advice on offer here. Hope you like it.
    by Maxalex at 13:02 on 10 October 2012
    Thank you all very much for your feedback.

Does it matter that I am still very new to the world of writing? I might not have much to offer and my pieces might seem a little inexperienced compared to others. The truth is, other than my writing teacher, I haven't given my work to anyone so am uncertain of the quality. I'm not yet confident enough *blush*

Thank you again x
    by Freebird at 13:31 on 10 October 2012
    Hi there,

I host the Children's and YA group, and you'd be most welcome to join us. Experience or lack of it makes no difference - you're still qualified to give your response to a piece as a reader. I think you'll find it a place where you learn lots and improve as a writer, but hopefully also find support and encouragement
    by Account Closed at 14:13 on 10 October 2012
    I think we all feel like that at first, Maxalex!

I think the worst thing is to write in a vacuum - WW gives you support, we have a laugh and the forums are full of useful information.

Good luck!
    by Account Closed at 20:12 on 10 October 2012
    The truth is, other than my writing teacher, I haven't given my work to anyone so am uncertain of the quality. I'm not yet confident enough *blush*

It took me a year to upload anything after I joined this site, but when I did it was a steep learning curve (thank you, Gaius and others) but the best ever.

Don't be afraid of my term 'steep learning curve'. I'm thinking of the very helpful first critiques I received in Intensive Critique, but these - and other subsequent feedback - put me on what I hope is the right path. But I know I'm getting there.

My point is don't be afraid to go for it and join in. The groups are so supportive and everyone wants you to do well and are there you help you succeed. Some members have longer journeys but who cares, no one's counting.

Good luck I look forward to seeing your work

by Maxalex at 14:53 on 11 October 2012
    Thanks all. I'll have a look at the children's and YA group. Sounds perfect.

I suspect that I will join. The fact that it took Sharley a year to upload something makes me feel a little better. The pressure to be active immediately has suddenly disappeared. :D

Thanks so much x