Login   Sign Up 

• Hi, just signed up for a year!
    by Jennifer1976 at 15:27 on 02 August 2012
    Hi, I am new to all of this – just signed up for a year’s membership of the communities and would like to introduce myself.

I live in Yorkshire with my partner and our little boy and so finding time to write is very hard. I have set myself the aim of writing ten pages a month of my first draft of a memoir based on my life as a young adult, and am just about managing to meet my target – 70 pages now! It was my new year’s resolution. I don’t normally set them because I can’t keep them, but after pretty much ten years of writer’s block, I decided that I had to bite the bullet and begin writing.

I started re-working some old writing of mine from some old diaries and began reading Julia Cameron and Natalie Goldberg, before moving onto some more directed books, like the OU set book for their Level 2 creative writing course and a couple that are linked to the UEA course. I would really love to do an MA in creative writing one day, but it’s not feasible at the moment – that’s something to aim for. I was really disappointed recently to find out that an online Starting Fiction course that I was going to do had tripled the fees – over £700 for a 3 month course!

I don’t have anybody that I can share my writing experiences with and I’d really like to meet people with whom I can discuss the writing process with and perhaps get a little bit of feedback.

I am reluctant to post any work on here for critique, partly because it is autobiographical and I am not sure of the legal aspect, and partly – mostly really – because I am not confident enough about my writing to share it online for critique. How do you get past that first hurdle?

Also, what is the best way to get the most out of my membership? I’m really looking for writing buddies with whom I can share the highs and lows of the writing life.

Thanks and hope to hear from some of you soon. X
  • Re: Hi, just signed up for a year!
    by Allana at 16:33 on 02 August 2012
    Hi Jennifer and welcome.
    Its good to see another new member here (as I am pretty new myself).

I know what you mean about uploading your first piece of work. It is quite scary, but people here are very kind.
    As to the work being autobiographical, I see your reluctance.
    You can upload your work to one group only (although I think here it would still be available in your profile for WW members to see, but perhaps I'm wrong about that).
    I see that you joined the Fast First Draft group. Perhaps that's the best way to begin. That way you can talk about your novel and ask questions about it without giving any personal details.

But as I said, I'm a newish member too, so I'm sure others will be along soon to give you more suggestions.

Well done on those 70 pages by the way.
    And I hope you enjoy being here as much as I am.
    by Freebird at 17:01 on 02 August 2012
    Hi Jennifer, and welcome

Firstly, well done on sticking to the New Years resolution and getting those pages down (I know how hard it is to write sometimes with children around). And well done on reading around the subject to make your writing even better (I find Julia Cameron mostly very inspiring).

It's always daunting to post work for critique, and I can see that if it's autobiographical, it would be even more so. But I presume you're writing it for somebody, somewhere to read? In which case, here's a good place to get feedback - you can always upload it only for group members to read. Then it can't be read by anyone else, and especially not anyone who might know you!

You will meet lots of writing buddies on here to share the inevitable ups and downs. It's a very supportive place to be
    by EmmaD at 17:07 on 02 August 2012
    Hello Jennifer, and welcome to WW

Good for you for finding a way to get yourself writing. (Another Julia Cameron fan here - also, have you come across the original of that approach, Dorothea Brande's Becoming a Writer? Classic stuff).

Good advice from Freebird. It's much less daunting to post for a smaller group who you're already getting to know. Be brave and jump in, and I'm sure you'll find it's really worth it.

you can always upload it only for group members to read.

Emma
    by Jennifer1976 at 19:05 on 02 August 2012
    Thanks guys, looking forward to chatting more with you. I have just had another look at the Fast First Draft group and didn't realise that there were a bunch of messages welcoming me. I have been away visiting family for a week so apologies for not responding to them sooner. Will see you all there. :-) X
    by Account Closed at 19:05 on 02 August 2012
    Welcome to WriteWords. I hope you find it really useful. Yes, get involved with the groups. Loads of ways of getting feedback and support there.

<Added>

Crossed with you, Jennifer. Look forward to seeing you in FFD.
    by Freebird at 19:34 on 02 August 2012
    see you on FFD then!
    by Steerpike`s sister at 10:38 on 03 August 2012
    Hi Jennifer, welcome!
    Have you thought of doing an Arvon course? Depending on where in Yorkshire you are, there's a venue that might be near you, Lumb Bank. They do means-tested bursaries and as they are only one week long they are much less committment than an MA. I know it's hard to get a week off when you have a child though.
    by Jennifer1976 at 17:38 on 03 August 2012
    Yes, I like the look of the Arvon courses and would love to do one of these one day. Think might have to wait until my little boy is a bit older though as Lumb Bank is just too far away to come home every night. I hear they're really good though and would certainly bridge the gap before I can do any further study. X
    by Account Closed at 19:43 on 03 August 2012
    I really, really want to go to Arvon. The idea of shared cooking and washing up is a bit off-putting (yes, I'm crap at cooking and detest washing up).

The one course I liked was booked up before I saved the money to go (wish I'd spotted that I only needed a deposit) and although they put a similar course on, I'd already booked for Winchester and even if I had enough money, it ended up being the same week as Winchester and wasn't exactly what I liked in the original course.

I've told hubby I'm going next year - if there's a course I like. He said fine, he wants to go motorbiking in France again
    by Jennifer1976 at 13:12 on 04 August 2012
    Oh yes, definitely go for it! I quite fancy the life writing one myself, but whenever I look into Arvon, quite a lot of them look interesting. X
    by funnyvalentine at 15:50 on 04 August 2012
    Hi Jennifer and welcome! I know how you feel, I lurked for a year before I was brave enough to upload anything. Just take your time,