Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Eep!
    by Stormmeee at 11:22 on 26 June 2012
    Hi everyone,

My name is Stormme (like the weather but with an extra me!) and I'm completely new at this.

I started writing a fictional... novel? a few days ago and can't seem to stop! I'm already 2,500 words in, which may not sound a lot but I've never written anything before other than fanfiction when I was about 15, so that was a fair few years ago!

I'm really enjoying writing, but I don't really have anyone to show my work to, or anyone who could help me tweek it so to speak.

I only have this temporarily on the one month trial but if I find that people are being a big help or that I find it beneficiary then I will definitely sign up next payday (but if I'm honest, I will probably just sign up anyway as £25 for the year seems brilliant!).

I was just wondering, if I was to post the starts of my... story? (sorry, I don't really know what to call it!) where would be best? So that I could "meet people" etc and see what people thought.

Any help etc would be extremely appreciated!!

Thanks!!
    Stormme x

P.S. Apologies for my grammar etc, I'm not the best at it!
  • Re: Eep!
    by EmmaD at 11:36 on 26 June 2012
    Hello Stormmee, and welcome to WriteWords. That sounds like a story that's dying to be told!

As a trial member you're allowed to join a group, which is where most of the feedback goes on. The best thing would be to join one that looks nice and busy, and is appropriate to your writing. Don't feel shy about responding to others' work, as all responses are welcome, and it's very good for your own writing - and you should get some response to your own.

And if you get stuck, just stand in the forum and shout!

Emma
    by Steerpike`s sister at 11:43 on 26 June 2012
    Hi Stormme, I agree with Emma. Welcome to the site!
    by Freebird at 11:46 on 26 June 2012
    Hi Stormme, we'd love to read your work

The best thing is to choose one of the groups where you can upload a piece of work and receive feedback on it, but remember that it's reciprocal so it helps if you dive in and have a go at commenting on someone else's work too. We all learn so much from critiquing other people's work, so it's beneficial to you as well as to them. It doesn't have to be anything amazing or professional or knowledgable - just what the experience was like for you as a reader.
    by Stormmeee at 12:12 on 26 June 2012
    Hi guys,

Thank you for replying so quickly and for helping!

I'm definitely going to join a group as recommended but I'm unsure which one.

So far, I don't quite know what genre my story belongs in. I bet that probably sounds really weird but I'm just putting it down as it comes into my head. I haven't fully dwelled on where it's going yet.

All I know so far is that it is definitely fiction and not a childrens story.

What group would you recommend I join?

I am definitely looking forward to reading other people's work and to receiving feedback on my own too.

Thanks for being friendly and welcoming!

Stormme
    by EmmaH at 12:17 on 26 June 2012
    Welcome, Stormee
    by ShellyH at 14:14 on 26 June 2012
    Hi Stormmeee, welcome to the site.
    by Astrea at 19:31 on 26 June 2012
    Hi, and welcome

Well, there's Intensive Critique, which is always quite busy, or Women's Fiction, which is a little quiet at the moment but always on the lookout for new members.

What type of novel do you think it is? In other words, if you had to put it on a shelf in a bookshop, would it fit more happily into 'Sci-Fi' or 'Fantasy', 'Women's Fiction' 'Thrillers' or somewhere else? It might help to think about whether the main elements of your story are to do with relationships, or a gripping action tale unfolding, for example.
    by GaiusCoffey at 21:36 on 26 June 2012
    Hi Stormmeee,
    Welcome to WW, I think Astrea's nailed it on the groups, so I'll just wish you well.
    Cheers,
    G
    by Account Closed at 21:44 on 26 June 2012
    welcome stormee - I think you've had good advice so like Gaius, I'll just add my voice to the hellos
    by CarolineSG at 10:03 on 27 June 2012
    And me - hello! Love that feeling where you can't stop writing. It's what it's all about really.
    by Stormmeee at 13:29 on 27 June 2012
    Hi everyone.

I am still none the wiser as to what genre my story belongs in, but for now I think probably Womens Fiction. It's not a romance novel persay (I think!), but it is written from the female perspective.

I'm sure that those members of that group will help me or tell me if I'm in the wrong group but as I'm only on a free trial (until next payday!) I can only join one group (for now).

Thanks again for making me feel welcomed and for being so helpful everyone! I can see I'm going to quite enjoy being a member of this community!

Stormme x
    by Stormmeee at 13:31 on 27 June 2012
    Although actually, just thinking about it again, that group is quite slow and really, I want to know whether I'm actually any good at writing before I continue/join up.

If I was to post a small part of my story here would I be breaking any "rules"? and would anyone be willing to give it a quick once over and tell me what they think?

Stormme x
    by GaiusCoffey at 16:41 on 27 June 2012
    Sorry, yes, it would be an abominable sin, probably punishable with extreme prejudice and creativity, plus you lose the control over your work - the ability to show / hide / share / delete it.

If in doubt, Intensive Critique is a good start point - active and encourages participation through its "give three crits and upload one piece for crit" protocol.

But, don't do it to be told if you're any good! We may be wrong, so you have to decide for yourself. All a crit can say is what a specific reader found to comment on in your work - always and only an opinion, never a cast-in-iron judgement.
    G
    by Stormmeee at 18:34 on 27 June 2012
    Thanks G! (Ha! I feel really "Gangsta" saying that!)

I most definitely won't post it on here then. Thanks for the advice.

I think I will join the intense critique group as you and Astrea suggested. What I really need right now is opinions on my work. I just want to know if I'm heading in the right direction or if I'm making really obvious and silly mistakes.

I really enjoy writing so I think I will continue anyway, regardless of whether I'm "any good".

Thanks again everyone!!

Stormme x

• This 21 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >