Login   Sign Up 

• Hi everyone
    by tavley at 16:27 on 30 April 2012
    I have just joined today! Im very nervous but extremely excited to be part of your community. I have been writing since I can remember. I have had some poetry published in a couple of anthologies, and a couple of articles in magazines, but thats about it. Im so passionate about writing and understand just by the couple of posts Ive read that its really hard to get anything published. But Im determined to at least try. Im going to upload some of my work and let you all tell me how awful!! or good it is. Heres hoping to find friendship and a common interest, which none of my friends or work colleagues on the outside understand. A question to put out there. I want to enter some of the competitions on here, has anyone been successful?
  • Re: Hi everyone
    by EmmaD at 17:38 on 30 April 2012
    Hello tavley, and welcome to WW. I think a lot of us on WW know that feeling that there's no one in our real life who really Gets It...

The best way to get your work critiqued is to join a suitable group, as that's where most of the critiquing goes on - and of course you learn as much from reading and commenting on other people's work as you do from what they say about yours.

There are certainly some competition winners on here, although I couldn't give you chapter and verse myself. And sometimes groups run informal competitions among themselves.

And if you get stuck, just give a shout in the forum and someone will be along to help.
    by Astrea at 19:35 on 30 April 2012
    Hello and welcome to WriteWords - it's a friendly, helpful community and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here
    by GaiusCoffey at 20:32 on 30 April 2012
    Welcome to WW, it's a great community. Only way to win the competitions is to enter the competitions, so go for it and best of luck!
    G
    by Freebird at 11:01 on 01 May 2012
    hi tavley, it's good to see you!

Yes, it's incredibly hard to get published, but by joining WW you're doing something that is definitely going to help you move in that direction.

It can be done, with persistence, hard work, the willingness to learn from critiques... and sometimes a dollop of luck!
    by tavley at 19:39 on 01 May 2012
    Thanks for your warm welcome everyone. I think Im going to enjoy being part of your community. I want to listen and learn as much as I can.
    by Jem at 17:16 on 02 May 2012
    Just wanted to add my welcome to a the others!
    by Steerpike`s sister at 18:13 on 06 May 2012
    Hello and welcome!