Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Hi again - posted new work
    by CaroAnna at 17:34 on 28 March 2012
    Hello again. I made the decision to delete my other bit of work and start again. This time I've posted it in the right order, Ch.1 Pt.1, makes perfect sense really!!

I hope someone gets a moment to look at it. It's my first piece of work, which will probably be self-evident but hey ho we have to start somewhere.

Thank you so much in advance.
  • Re: Hi again - posted new work
    by Account Closed at 17:51 on 28 March 2012
    Hi Caroanna, have you joined a group? The best thing is to upload your work to an appropriate critique group - you're much more likely to get people looking at it then (and more to the point, they're more likely to be people with an interest in that particular niche).

There is a strong reciprocal ethos in most groups, so you'll find if you critique other people's work, they will most likely return the favour!

Is your work for children? I wasn't quite sure from the extract, but if it is, the children's group is very busy and always welcomes new members!

If you need help finding the right group, give us an idea on here of the theme/niche and people should be able to advise.
    by CaroAnna at 20:05 on 28 March 2012
    Hi Florapost, thanks for the quick reply...unlike mine! Yes, it is for children really, so I will join that group, unless, are they too busy perhaps? Anyway I'll give it a go, thanks for the advice.
    by Account Closed at 20:33 on 28 March 2012
    No no busy is good - I meant it has a lot of traffic and a lot of uploads. Generally the busier the group, the more likely you are to get comments.

I am a member of children's, although I'm taking a break from critting at the moment as I'm working flat out to get my own book done. But there are lots of very active members, and the group is very friendly and welcoming.

Do pitch in and critique other people's work too - partly it's nice to return the favour, and partly it's a great learning exercise as you really learn how to analyse why a piece works for you, or not, and it sharpens your eye for faults in your own writing.

You will have to put in a request to join, which can take a day or so to come through, then you should be able to assign your existing upload to children's (if you go into your profile, and then click on "edit" for the piece of work, then you can choose to assign it to any group you are a member of).

Good luck!

<Added>

oh just to add - it can be helpful to add a line about the intended market/age group to the introduction, so people bear that in mind when they're commenting.
    by Freebird at 09:43 on 29 March 2012
    yay! I see you've joined us in the Children's Group I look forward to reading your chapter when it's uploaded.
    by CaroAnna at 10:53 on 29 March 2012
    Hi

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice.
    I've joined and I'm in!! I've also joined the beginner's group too and for the moment that's where I've posted my work. I thought I'd wait for the feedback before I posted it into the children's group.

I am going to try and comment on other people's work , if I can, I'm very much a novice so will spend a little time learning before I launch with my five penneth worth!

Where do you get the emoticons from?!!

by zahramalik at 18:05 on 05 April 2012
    yes i read and like it a lot