Login   Sign Up 

• Hello - Newbie here who needs some advise please.
    by scott6kids at 13:38 on 11 April 2010
    Hi forum,

I thought that I before I created my first post into this forum it would be best if I told you a little more about myself and then take it from there :-)

The whole concept of writing or creating content which is both interesting & compelling has really appealed to me for some time now, in fact my own website is fully operation and just waiting for some juicy content that will no doubt drive my readers wild..(that's the plan anyway)

The problem I have is that I don't seem to be able for formulate an idea which can then be expanded in a decent article that makes sense. Is there a secret code of conduct when decided what to write about such as having a structure or making sure that all created content have 5 essential ingredients?

Something else which I struggle with is the use of the word (I) what this means is that when creating content you could just bet you bottom dollar that the phrases "I would", "I can" or "I will" are used more than they should. Even whilst creating this post, there are times where I have to stop myself from using these "phrases" and think of an alternative use of words.

Comments and opinions of what is expressed above would be useful as providing the experts who use this forum don't mind sharing their idea's, then I am sure that a solutions can be found.

Thank all.

• Re: Hello - Newbie here who needs some advise please.
    by NMott at 14:00 on 11 April 2010
    Hi Scott, and welcome to WriteWords

Not sure I've got any advice on writing, other than just go ahead and write anything that takes your fancy and try not to over think it.

If you need any help navigating the Site just give us a shout.

- NaomiM
    by scott6kids at 14:08 on 11 April 2010
    Thanks for the reply, you may have just hit the nail on the head there you know? Perhaps I am overthinking? Or maybe I am being way too harsh on myself and expecting overnight magic.
    by NMott at 14:24 on 11 April 2010
    There's only one way to guarantee overnight magic, and that's by putting in 1000 nights of work in first.
    by scott6kids at 14:28 on 11 April 2010
    Your right you know, tell me about yourself and the kind of content you create is you don't mind? How do you structure an idea and create content?
    by Steerpike`s sister at 14:32 on 11 April 2010
    Hi Scott,
    It probably depends what you are trying to write. If it is non-fiction website content, what is your website for? Is it for a particular business? If so, you should probably think about what your potential clients want and write something that will be relevant to them.
    Structure is always useful, whatever you're writing. I'm no expert on writing for the internet, but I suppose you might structure an online non-fiction article something like this:

Introduction: tell them what you're going to talk about, and why it's important.

Main bit: say your piece.

Conclusion: finish off with something that ties it all together. What lessons can be learned? Where should the reader go from here?

Good luck!
    by DJC at 15:40 on 11 April 2010
    My advice to you is simple - look at the small stuff. The details that make up your life, and the lives of those around you. Begin small and work outwards, thinking about how the small things are shaped by the bigger things in your life. For example, your relationship with work - how did it change when you had kids? And how did that change manifest itself - in how you approached tasks, the time you got up in the morning, your relationship with your boss? Think small, as it's always the best place to start. Blogging is all about day to day stuff, but it must be written in a way that engages with the reader and makes them think 'yes, I know what you mean'. So, take one thing per day, and write about it. Doesn't matter how small it may seem. The only way to learn to write, is to write - and the only place to start is looking at the small stuff, in my mind. All good fiction hones in on details, placing the reader in a specific place at a specific time. Use the blog to practise.

I did a blog during my time away in Rwanda, adopting my little girl. You can find it here, if it helps: www.rwandajourney.blogspot.com.
    by Dee at 15:56 on 11 April 2010
    To be honest, I think you're doing this back to front. Surely the main reason for having a blog is because you have things you want to share.

And sadly, no, there is no secret code or magic formula to writing. It takes inspiration and a lot of hard work.

Dee
    by Katerina at 16:05 on 11 April 2010
    Well, people are interested in all sort of things, including other people, so as Darren says, think about your life and the things around you.

Do you have any fascinating hobbies, have you travelled anywhere inspirational?

You can write an article about anything under the sun really - gardening, wildlife, travelling, photography, current trends, historical events and people - especially if there's an anniversary coming up - for instance on this day (11th April) in 1973, The British Government introduced a tar content table to be printed on cigarette packets.

Not very interesting, I just used it as an example. But there's plenty to write about, don't worry about thinking to much or planning, just sit down with a subject, start writing and it will flow. And the more you write, the better you will get.

Have fun

Kat x
    by NMott at 16:58 on 11 April 2010
    With 6 kids I'm sure there are lots of anecdotes and observations you could write up as blog posts. They don't have to be very long - in fact the shorter the better.
    by NMott at 22:51 on 06 June 2011
    It is very difficult to give a proper critique on a blog. If your girlfriend would like feedback on her work then it's best if she joins WriteWords and uploads an extract in one of the writing forums.

- NaomiM