Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• I`m being `rejected`!
    by preppieb at 15:55 on 13 July 2008
    Ooh, I've finally joined WW as you all seem to be like-minded, supportive and I'm hoping there'll be a few empathetic ears and a bit of sage advice out there for me!

I've been lucky enough to get an Agent for my first novel which is doing the rounds but has been turned down by a few Publishers. I'm now finding it so hard to motivate myself to work on my second book, knowing that the first one hasn't sold.

Is this par for the course? If a book doesn't sell straight away is that it, or does it often happen like this? I'd love some feedback/advice.
  • Re: I`m being `rejected`!
    by NMott at 16:36 on 13 July 2008
    There is anecdotal evidence that says only 10% of Agented work gets published. However, I think the hit rate for WW-members is a lot higher than that.
    As for finding the motivation to get stuck into book 2, I don't know what the answer is to that, aside from a lot of chocolate and white wine

<Added>

Oh, and Welcome to WW.

- NaomiM
    by susieangela at 18:23 on 13 July 2008
    Hi and welcome
    As I'm unagented I can't answer your question, just empathise. There are lots of agented people here who will be able to tell you more. But really well done on getting an agent for your first novel - that's fabulous. It's a rollercoaster ride, isn't it? But one thing that agents and publishers do like is a second book in the wings, so if you can just shut your ears to the worries and plough on with it, it would probably be good. Especially as I see from your profile that your first only took you three months. You could maybe make a schedule and by autumn you'll have your second. Which your agent will either be able to sell to the same publisher in a two-book deal, or may even be the one the publishers will go for first!
    Susiex
    by ShellyH at 21:24 on 13 July 2008
    Hi, Congratulations on getting an agent. I hear it's harder to get an agent than a publisher, so that must give you confidence and encourage you to get started on book 2.
    The thought of only 10% of agented work getting published is a bit depressing. This up hill struggle seems to be getting steeper all the time.
    I would put a sad smilie here but I have no idea how to do them!
    by Myrtle at 23:12 on 13 July 2008
    Hello there,

You are not alone! I got an agent for my first novel - didn't sell. I wrote another. Agent didn't like it. Agent evidently got bored of me and wrote me a Dear John letter. So I wrote another novel, got another agent...guess what? No one has bought it, aarghhh! Mind you, we've only heard back from 3 but it has taken so long to get those 3 rejections that I don't hold out any hope. I know I'd feel better if I got stuck into another novel, but it's really hard when I know there are editors out there who are eventually going to get around to their huge subs pile and reject mine. I've started a short story and I've got a picture book to write as well (commissioned - phew, less likely to reject that!) and those are good distractions.

Lots of deals seem to happen quickly, but I know there are some WW'ers who did get a book deal after months and months.

Maybe you could try to do some morning pages or some other writing exercises to get you back in the mood and distract you from this hideous process.

Chin up! Plenty of us in the same position.

Emily