Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Contract advice?
    by John Brackenridge at 07:00 on 22 March 2008
    Hello all. I need some advice from those more experienced in the world of publishing!

Last year I submitted three chapters of my MS to a small publisher. This was the first submission I had made. They requested four more chapters, then offered a contract. The terms seemed good, so I signed in Feb 07. The publisher read the full MS and offered feedback, but unfortunately they have now gone into liquidation. A number of large publishing companies are apparently competing to take over parts of the small publisher, but this does not include all the authors. It seems that whoever buys the company will be choosing which authors to keep. My original publisher has stated that they will 'find a home' for any MS that are not taken on by the new owners.
    I wanted to know whether it is best to let things take their course, or start touting my MS again, either to other publishers or agents. Obviously if the purchasers wish to keep my MS, I would assume another contract would be required.
    Any thoughts gratfully heard!
  • Re: Contract advice?
    by cherys at 11:41 on 22 March 2008
    Touting to agents is exactly what I'd do in your position. A good agent could advise you on how to proceed and may secure a better deal than your original one.
    by Dee at 13:00 on 22 March 2008
    Hi John, and welcome to WW.

I think I can guess which small publisher you're talking about, and if I'm right, there are a lot of confused people wondering what’s going to happen.

You could start touting for an agent – having had a contract already will score brownie points – or you could ask the Society of Authors for advice.

http://www.societyofauthors.org/

Good luck,

Dee
    by NMott at 13:12 on 22 March 2008
    I know which company you are referring to John, and I would be tempted to leave the MS with them for the time being in the hope that they can place it elsewhere. Although they are a 'small publisher' they do have a lot of contacts in the industry and will be a bit like having your MS handled by an Agent who is trying to do their best for you - albeit in whatever time they have left before the company is dissolved.
    The world of publishing is a slow business at the best of times, and the winding up of the company is likely to take several months, which actually is not all that long in the industry. If you were to submit the ms yourself around the agents you are probably looking at around 3months anyway, since your ms will be landing on the slushfiles. If you let this company do it for you, your ms will be landing directly on people's desks.
    Good luck.

- NaomiM
    by John Brackenridge at 11:42 on 23 March 2008
    Thanks for the above! All very useful. It's interesting to see different opinions from indepentdent people. I think I may be shooting myself in the foot if I act before I see what the outcome with the publisher might be. I definately will be seeking an agent in the future, and I've had a list recommended to me already.

Good site this!