Login   Sign Up 

• Introducing myself
    by Account Closed at 15:50 on 14 February 2008
    Hello everyone!

I'm 46 and I have been writing most of my life, from poetry to short stories to fiction novels. I sold a few short stories to a magazine in the late nineties but then decided to go to university and get a degree, which then turned into a PhD. I finished that in November 2007, by which time my second novel was well underway (first one was rubbish so I didn't send it off - a learning curve!).

I have a big argument going on with myself as to my aims and aspirations. Obviously, I would like to sell my novel and short stories, otherwise I wouldn't have sent them to agents and editors! BUT.... I have always written in some form, even when I wasn't working on writing! So without wanting to sound precious, I also yearn for the creativity writing gives me.

Anyway, where am I up to now? I am in the fortunate position of having a reasonably paid job that I enjoy, a PhD in identity construction and the urge to write. Plus, the time to write as my children are grown and left home.

I have the full MS of my novel with an agent right now and a few short stories with magazine editors. I am also in the process of turning my thesis into an academic textbook (as yet unplaced but some interest) and writing papers for journals.

I am here looking for advice, guidance, support and some empathetic friends to save me from the isolated life I see stretching before me :-)

Thnaks for reading this, and see you on the froums.

K.
  • Re: Introducing myself
    by susieangela at 17:50 on 14 February 2008
    Hi Karris, and welcome.
    You sound scarily well-qualified! WW is a very empathic and supportive place - and also very addictive. Hope you enjoy it.
    Susiex
    by Dee at 17:59 on 14 February 2008
    Hi Karris, and welcome to WW. If you need any help finding your way around the site, give me or Nik Perring a shout and we’ll point you in the right direction.

Dee
    by Nik Perring at 12:19 on 15 February 2008
    We will! Welcome to the site.

Nik
    by PRAFULLA NATH at 13:50 on 29 March 2008
    Hello,
    I am a new member of write world.I am a budding poet and aspires to wrtie a novel also.I have not pubished anything to my credit.I will accept cordial advice of auithors and poets.
    by PRAFULLA NATH at 13:57 on 29 March 2008
    HI KARRIS,
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE, THE WHOLE WRTE WORLD IS WITH YOU.
    BEST WISHES
    PRAFULLA
    by daisy2004 at 18:06 on 29 March 2008
    I'm currently working on a PhD (at least, I'm supposed to be but it's proving difficult as I'm also a full-time lecturer) so am truly envious that you got through yours and are finished.

I think writing is, when we're not doing it as our major source of income, something we can dip in and out of when it suits us. I've written three novels but, despite agent interest, didn't manage to get one published. I'm now having time out from the creative writing due to needing to rethink what I want from it - and also due to lack of time to do it wholeheartedly at the moment. But I know it will always be there, waiting for me when I'm ready, which is why I keep a connection to it by being a member here.

So I think you've done exceptionally well to get this far with your writing, and I do hope you hear positive news from the agent. A good online forum can be a lifeline to writers, as often there's no-one in our immediate circle who truly understands what it's all about. Hope you enjoy your time here.